Best Concert in a Lifetime?

I’m calling on our memories from years past & asking what your Favorite Concert was in your lifetime? Without hesitation, mine was 1976 Toronto Maple Leaf Gardens Concert Bowl; Boston opening for Robin Trower. This was Boston’s Canadian Debut & they pretty much played their entire 1st (Best!) album & Blew Us Away! Unbelievable! Robin Trower walks out onto the stage after Boston walks off & says & I quote “ Well, that will be the last time Boston opens up for Anyone!”. Robin Trower then plays most of Bridge of Sighs album & again, Blows Us Away! Classic Concert for a 15 yr old Boy who loved & continues to Love Blues Rock! Honorable Mention goes to Summer of 1987 which had me at U2 Joshua Tree Tour, Pink Floyd (without Roger Waters), & Bruce Springsteen’s Born in USA Tour all @ CNE Toronto Canada. SgtRock/Dean

6 Likes

Springsteen didn’t tour in ‘87. Born In The USA tour finished in ‘85. Tunnel of Love tour was next in ‘88.

To say just one then Paul Weller on The Pyramid Stage, Glastonbury 1994 he was incredible.

2 Likes

I’ve got a few. Mainly centred around seeing favourites that haven’t disappointed.

Being mad on Zeppelin in my teens but having been too young to see the real thing, the two Page & Plant reunion tours were highlights for me seeing the first in Sheffield in 95 and the second in Manchester in 1998.

The Rolling Stones at Maine Road in 1990.

Neil Young and Crazy Horse in Sheffield 2001.

Bruce Springsteen reunion tour with the E Street Band in Manchester 1999.

To name but a few…

2 Likes

Miles Davis at North Sea Jazz in 1991.

It turned out to be one of his last concerts as he past away 2 months later. :worried:

2 Likes

The Smiths, Leicester Poly, 16 November 1983. They played three encores and ran out of songs for the final one, so had to play some again. It was the first time I saw them and they went on to become my favourite band. Simply a wonderful night, even better than Joy Division at Bangor in autumn 1979.

6 Likes

It’s funny isn’t it how memories differ. My wife and I were amongst literally hundreds who left that Springsteen gig early cos it was awful. Never seen anything quite like it. He was static. Sound was average. Gaps between songs were tedious. One of only two gigs I’ve exited early. Both artists I like.

1 Like

John Williams at The apex, Bury St. Edmunds. The acoustics in this venue are brilliant and he played two forty five minute slots. They were both sublime featuring some of the lesser known composers from his repertoire.

1 Like

He did play two nights in Manchester on that tour so we may not have been at the same one.

That said, I have seen him play better gigs since…The Rising tour at Old Trafford cricket ground being one. For me though there was something about seeing him play those songs with the E Street Band for the first time that made that night stand out.

1 Like

Bob Dylan and The Hawks, 8.45pm May 27 1966 Royal Albert Hall……life changing…

2 Likes

We were at the second of the two nights. Also at Old Trafford and amongst thousands who walked there for similar reasons. I think the media assumed it was because of the inevitable tram issues but the conversation on the way out were remarkably similar. Like you though we did enjoy The Rising stuff. He seemed much more engaged with those songs.

Interesting also to hear the No Nukes gig in full now and realise how lithe that band was compared to the muscle bound version nowadays.

1 Like

David Bowie 1976 4th May Empire Pool Wembley
(Support Un Chien Anadolu)

3 Likes

I was there too, at least I was there one night, did he do “ I’m Waiting For My Man”?

2 Likes

In no particular order:

Blondie - first Eat to the Beat gig at Deeside Leisure Centre.

Solomon Burke - Debating Hall at the University of Manchester (Academy 2 nowadays).

Richard and Danny Thompson at Manchester Royal Exchange Theatre.

2 Likes

I was at the first night at the MEN.

I thought he had a bit of fire at the Old Trafford gig….the locals had objected to the gig and the council only granted a license for it to go ahead days before as I recall and he seemed determined to put on a good show.

That’s my recollection anyway.

Agree re the No Nukes gig….if only I could have seen them way back then.

1 Like

Led Zeppelin performed twice at Knebworth in 1979, firstly on 4th August and followed one week later on the 11th. I went to both. The first was definitely the better of the two.

5 Likes

Yes and introduced himself after the band as ‘Winston Churchill’
It was a disappointment that Earl Slick wasn’t in the band but Stacy Heydon more than made up for him and Tony Kaye on keyboards.

3 Likes

Way back last century, at Glasgow Odeon, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley and a new, young band called The Rolling Stones, all on the same bill …need I say more? :crazy_face:

5 Likes

Too difficult my friend, for me it’s either Eagles at the First direct arena in Leeds UK 2019, or any of the first four times I saw Fleetwood Mac in the UK, not the last one at the NEC, because we bought the tickets late the only thing higher than we were was the International Space Station, so the view was somewhat compromised!!

1 Like

God, I wish I could have seen Bowie live!

1 Like