Best cover of a song

Hope you enjoy it. Of course, if you’re already familiar with the original, your take on this may be different to mine, but I have a soft spot for the Cowboy Junkies, and this is on probably my favourite album of theirs.

1 Like

Lovely vocals. Long time since I listened to the Cowboy Junkies. Very gentle.

(Also, you’ve never really lived if you haven’t heard Snuff’s mighty cover of I Think We’re Alone Now…)

There have been a couple of mentions of This Mortal Coil’s cover of Song to the Siren, which is superb, but I also love the version by The Czars, with John Grant on lead vocal.

1 Like

I love John Grant and I’d never heard his version. Wow! Imagine if he could be persuaded to re-do that now, with his slightly more gravelly voice…

1 Like

Television do a cracker live cover of Knockin On Heavens Door.
Album is ‘The Blow Up’
Also Cold Chisel cover it live on ‘Swingshift’

4 Likes

Eva Cassidy’s cover of Sting’s Fields of Gold is exceptional…

Best

David

9 Likes

The Jungle Line - Herbie Hancock/Leonard Cohen (Original Joni Mitchell)

4 Likes

As is her version of “Over the rainbow”.

1 Like

This is also rather good

A Day In The Life

I can believe it. It is unlistenable. Like nails on a chalk-board.

1 Like

Eva Cassidy - Fields Of Gold.
Although Stings original is OK in it’s own right, Eva adds something special to it.

4 Likes

I really like Mary Black’s cover of Fields of Gold as well, would have loved to have heard her and Eva doing it as a duet.

1 Like

The sound of Silence - Disturbed

Definitely, perhaps even defiantly, one I would support. In the context of the rest of the album it is, indeed, almost the sound of silence. The underlying menace is quite palpable.

2 Likes

Talking Heads/Take me to the river cover of the Al Green song. I think this is such a clever cover song and even though there is only 4-5 years between versions (IIRC) it sounds more like decades and the TH version still sounds fresh.

3 Likes

Johnny Cash - Hurt

From Nine Inch Nails version to his was incredible. His period in life, emotion captured. Gotta be the best cover no?

12 Likes

Twice

A little obscure perhaps, but the Swedish group Little Dragon’s “Twice” has been covered many times, (and rightly so, it’s lovely). Here’s the original:

And here is a quite splendid cover by the New York piano trio (that @BertBird introduced me to) PLS.Trio (from an album that’s just magical if you like EST style jazz):

Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah

4 Likes

the legendary Larry Norman

download by , on Flickr

The original was great, but I was always a fan of this too.
Counting Crows - Big Yellow Taxi featuring Vanessa Carlton.

3 Likes