Best ‘high end’ hifi magazine

Hi all,
I have been subscribing to WhatHiFi for decades now, ever since I was a student and bought a Marantz PM44 and CD63 with Mordant Short speakers. I have slowly gone through the Naim upgrade path from nait 3/cd3 to nait 5/CD5 etc, to 202, 200, NDX and now 282 and NDX2 with some Kudos 606s on there way.
I would like change my HiFi subscription to one that reviews similar prices equipment to mine?
What HiFi is great, but they rarely review items which are comparable to mid level Naim.
Recommendations welcome!
Thanks,
Rich

Hifi critic is my choice. Expensive but advert free. It’s quarterly.

5 Likes

HIFI plus has a good blend of high end and more ‘affordable’ products & used to be my regular as well as hifi world (which is a bit more real world).

3 Likes

Ear audio , online. A lot of Naim equipment reviewed, and globally equipment in your price level.
Hificritic, one of the best, but pricey.
Hifi News.

2 Likes

Tone Audio is great too (online - you can download the magazines for free as pdfs, but obviously plenty of ads too) and reviews quite a lot of Naim kit. IIRC Jeff Dorgay used to frequent the Naim forum some years back, maybe still does (Jeff, are you there?). I particularly like the music reviews and playlists, as well as the little snippets where Jeff tells us a little about his latest secondhand find of hifi kit from the '70s or '80s and how well it gets on in a modern context. You can even download back issues too, which should keep you busy for a while…

8 Likes

I stopped my subscription to What HiFi years ago when they started reviewing TVs.
I mean… come on!

I didn’t know about this magazine, but having just downloaded a random issue, it looks very good. Thanks Richard.

1 Like

Only one I have ever subscribed to was HiFi Choice back in the 90’s. Never been a great fan of WHF finding their reviews quite shallow back in those days. Not sure if HFC is still around.

1 Like

Critic
Hi-Fi news
Stereophile
Tone

HiFi Choice is still around and I have subscribed for several years. It’s content is quite broad, including reviews of equipment at all price levels (except the ultra high end), readers’ questions and answers, artist profiles, music reviews, private for sale ads, etc. So there’s usually something that interests me. My main gripe is that they seldom rate any item below 4 stars (out of 5) so objective comparison between similar items is very difficult. I also subscribe to HiFi Plus. It’s a nicely produced and well written magazine that deals with mainly high end and very high end equipment with price tags commonly exceeding £10k. It also has a small number of music reviews and readers’ letters every month. Their website has recently been updated so I suspect you can find some of the reviews there, free of charge.

2 Likes

I used to buy HiFi News but I found it got rather predictable and shallow, so I stopped two or three years ago. Can’t say I miss it.

2 Likes

Probably this forum

1 Like

Now Gramophone I do subscribe to still……

It’s not really a hifi magazine of course, but all the more interesting for that.

3 Likes

Yes -it is .

Mainly concentrating on the sub £2k market, but their in-depth reviews are excellent, so are the music reviews and their dream systems section is excellent, though I can’t recall seeing it for some months (CV19?)

1 Like

@andreweverard is writing the hifi reviews. Or was writing before.

Yes he still is. I always read them!

1 Like

Wow, HIFi Critic looks good, but expensive. Annual subscription as an early Xmas present…:thinking:

1 Like

Hificritic , last number. Contents:

4 HEINZ LICHTENEGGER
High-value products that sound good – that’s the very simple philosophy of the founder of Pro-Ject. He talks about how it all started, and what his plans are for the future
8 STAN’S SAFARI
Stan examines how changes in the way we listen have influenced the demands placed on amplification, from the arrival of CD to the modern age of streaming music
10 WILSON AUDIO CHRONOSONIC XVX
Though this may be the ‘standard’ version of the WAMM Chronosonic XVX, it’s anything but normal: Martin Colloms gets to grips with the extraordinary engineering, and remarkable sound, of this huge and striking- looking loudspeaker, and listens to it in a system with a near-$1m pricetag
23 CAMBRIDGE AUDIO EVO 150
The London-based company launches an assault on the all-in-one streaming audio system arena with a wonderfully stylish, flexible and fine-sounding model, with industrial design to match its superb sound
27 LINN KAROUSEL
An all-new bearing is the latest upgrade for the long-running Linn LP12, still the turntable of choice in the Colloms system. He compares old and new, and finds it brings marked benefits – as does a Dynamik upgrade to his LP12’s power supply
31 AURALIC ALTAIR G2.1
The latest version of Auralic’s network player/preamp is even more ambitious – it even has a phono stage! – and proves a highly capable heart for any digital based system, says Andrew Everard
34 NOISE CANCELLING INVESTIGATED
The ability to exclude external distractions via digital processing is now found in many headphones, but does it steal the music, too? Keith Howard takes a closer look at this popular technology
38 CEC’S DIGITAL DUO
Kevin Fiske takes a listen to an unashamedly CD-only transport and DAC combination from the long-established Japanese manufacturer, complete with a proprietary digital link, and comes away highly impressed. Well, almost…
41 CYRUS i7 XR
The shoebox shape of the latest amplifier from the Cyrus stable may be familiar, but Ed Selley finds this is the most significant upgrade in a decade
43 AUSTRIAN EXPERTISE
Austrian Audio is rapidly building a reputation for headphones and more, in the pro audio market and beyond. Keith Howard assesses two of its core models
46 FRANCO SERBLIN ACCORDO
This luxury standmount speaker clearly shows its late designer’s roots, and the sound is entrancing, says Ed Selley
48 DENAFRIPS TERMINATOR PLUS
There’s a lot of Internet buzz about the DACs from this Chinese brand. Kevin Fiske takes a long listen, and finds patience is a virtue
46 AUDIO NOTE PALLAS II
Not one, but four new digital interconnects from Audio Note, at prices ranging from almost £1200 for a metre: Chris Frankland crunches the numbers and explores further
50 McINTOSH MCD85
This latest arrival from upstate New York may not look much like an SACD/CD player, but Chris Kelly discovers it sounds like a very good example of the breed. It even makes his TV sound better!
54 TOWNSHEND AUDIO ALLEGRI REVISED
The latest version of Townshend’s passive line controller features wholesale changes, from the display to the feet, and Martin Colloms finds it sounds better than ever
56 EDWARDS AUDIO TT4
British designed, engineered and assembled, this value for money turntable, supplied complete with unipivot arm and cartridge, is a conspicuous bargain, says Chris Kelly
60 THE MUSIC
The latest classical releases, new jazz and

Thank you for the update FR, I stopped my subscription to HiFiCritic because someone in the UK postal service kept stealing mine!

1 Like

Stereo sound from Japan, the Absolute Sound and Stereophile from the USA

1 Like