Best internet radio anyone?

Love this radio station
Not hi def but consistently great old music

3 Likes

Thank you for the Groove Jazz radio tip, wonderful!

1 Like

On an iPhone, click the mountain icon, bottom right in reply screen

It must be difficult to get traction broadcasting only one month a year.
I had it in my station list but removed as I thought it was defunct!

It runs on a Restricted Service Licence and has done every May since 1993. This is the first year it’s not on FM, too expensive for a not for profit volunteer run station.

1 Like

A month ago JB Radio2 told us to “get ready”. Not sure if it related to the flac stream but they had previously indicated it was coming back but no ETA. We are still waiting.

1 Like

“Radio listening declined in UK during pandemic” as reported by High Resolution Audio see
Radio listening declined in UK during pandemic - High Resolution Audio (hiresaudio.online)

I was surprised by this but it is due (amongst other things) to reduced car listening and increased YouTube video watching.

SuperStereo 4 (easy listening) (Chile) (flac)
has a changed URL http://198.204.228.202:8030/flac
superstereo-4-radio

:+1:

TMEFolk may be gone but TME.fm Radio is sounding good.
Good SQ, good mix and stable station.

Hey,

I quite like Planet Rock, UK. It’s limited on regions it can be listened to. If you pay the £3.99 subscription fee then AAC 192kbit MPEG4 is available on Planet Rock, Kerrang!, Scala Classical and Jazz FM. The Planet Rock and Kerrang feeds are messed up audio wise by some horrible desk bus compression and EQ, but better than the free MP3 feeds. Typically listen to the Danny Bowes (Thunder) show and Joe Elliot (Def Leppard) shows. Old school, but nice school.

Best

Steve

3 Likes

Sorry Don’t agree on the beeb. I am happy for some of my taxes to go there - in my view I am getting vfm.
P

4 Likes

Yeah! Where would we be without the Archers?

1 Like

Her indoors is a fan.
I covet the job of “Agricultural Storyline Editor”. Money for old rope.
They have not realised all the animals have died of their neglect many months or years ago.

They are concentrating on Alice not the bovines :slight_smile:

1 Like

My issue is choice.
Do the BBC have a Jazz channel - NO.
Do the BBC have a Blues channel - NO.
They do have 50 local radio stations!
Do they broadcast in flac - NO.

They have just taken £150 plus BBC Tax for another year and I have no choice.
I would prefer to subscribe to the Jazz Groove (that I listen to) and get 5 extra jazz channels in flac.

And today I learn the BBC are paying £275,000 (for 3 days a week) per year for a BBC Diversity Tsar.
So services are not their priority.
Do me a favour.
Give me a choice to get rid of this bloated, biased and useless mob.

9 Likes

Two more FLAC stations

Pop - Radio Kemonia (Naples, Italy) (flac)
URL http://kemoniastreaming2.net:8060/stream

Pop - XRadio NonStop (Netherlands) (flac)
URL http://stream06.dotpoint.nl:8050/8600-flac
(station is back again) UPDATE - it has gone again.

(PS not sure “pop” is what it used to be!).

1 Like

If you don’t watch any live tv (from any provider) and don’t use bbc iplayer then you don’t need a licence. But you can still listen to radio.

Again I do not agree. I feel I am getting VFM and also that an independent broadcaster, with standards and a public good element, is actually more important in the current times. My children felt they did a really good job with schools on learning recently.
You obviously feel strongly that the dead weight cost is too high for you to bear and they are not delivering your particular wants. I don’t and I think they are not as inefficient as you think - it is very easy to say that about anything - stats here What does your TV Licence fee pay for? - TV Licensing ™ don’t suggest they are that bad.
If you don’t want to pay then why not ditch live tv and choose another service.

2 Likes

I’m have been unable to access Jazz.fm in Toronto since Monday (weekend changes?). When I use my iPad and go through their website, their stream plays normally.
I have reached out to vtuner support to ask if they see any change. They normally take a few days to respond.
Same issue on ND555 and Muso QB2.
Normally my go-to station, so getting to experiment with other stations.