Best jokes

Some of the old Loony Tunes can be viewed on YouTube

2 Likes

En Garde Monsieur Pussycat

3 Likes

Am I correct in remembering that Mary Whitehouse, or someone like her, tried to have Tom & Jerry banned from TV on the grounds that it might encourage children to be cruel to animals?

The Simpsons Itchy And Scratchy is I’m sure inspired by Tom & Jerry, ramping up the cruelty level :joy:

3 Likes

Great comic thinking to mostly only ever see her from the waist down .ie from the Cat and Mouses eye view

2 Likes

The housekeeper was voiced by Lillian Randolph a black actress and Blues singer. Some of the cartoons were originally banned after complaints from the NAACP. Apparently MGM’s response was to make the housekeepers legs white and voice her in an Irish accent instead, oh well thats ok then! :joy:
Not sure Ive ever seen the ones with the Irish maid though, I seem to remember reading that somewhere

3 Likes

On a slightly different note, another brilliant double act I’m a big fan of that you dont see on the telly anymore is Laurel & Hardy, so many great timeless gags there.

One of my favourites being in Sons Of The Desert (Fraternally Yours)

Ollie gets Stan to arrange a doctor to visit to recommend a sea voyage to Honolulu in the interests of Ollies health. A vet arrives, after he leaves Ollie despairingly asks Stan “now why did you go and get a veterinarian?” Stan replies “well I didn’t think his religion would make any difference”

4 Likes

Hard Boiled Eggs :rofl:

7 Likes

17 Likes

Anglo American humour/humor at its best.

1 Like

Batman hit me over the head with a vase and exclaimed ‘T’PAU!’
‘Don’t you mean KAPOW!?’ I asked.
‘No’, he replied, ‘I’ve got china in my hand’

20 Likes

NOW I feel at home…

1 Like

7 Likes

images (1)

1 Like

Proof.

6 Likes

And nuts! :joy:

His arse went oot the windae. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

The Soda Fountain Gag, best just to show the clip if youve got a few minutes.
The great James Finlayson behind the bar

:heart:

5 Likes
3 Likes

The Steps where they filmed that are still there preserved in their honour

2 Likes

9 Likes