Best Live Albums

This is Awesome!

@Nick.Lees

Just had a look on Tidal, and it’s not there, though a couple of his other albums are.

Checked the price of the CD on t’interweb … Ow mooch?

Maybe I’ll leave it for now, though he is a bit good. :persevere:

Not on Qobuz or Bandcamp either. In this age it’s a bit daft if the CDs are so out of reach (though there is a copy on Discogs that’s reasonable!)

1 Like

I found it under Michael Landau Group on Tidal.

2 Likes

Screenshot 2020-07-07 at 14.54.42

10 Likes

@DazedDegsy,

Ye’re right … I hadn’t appended “group” onto the end of his name … must try harder.

:+1: :+1:

7 Likes

Colour me dozy too. It’s on Qobuz.

Don’t be so hard on yourself.

I’ve just listened to it again, it’s a terrific album.

Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll check out some of his other stuff.

1 Like

I wish I could get hold of a vinyl version of Made in Japan with the encores but I don’t think it exists!

I believe you are correct. I have the “expanded” CD with the encores, but my vinyl copy is the basic one. Xmas pressie in 1972, I took it back to uni in my suitcase - result was two dished LPs that spent the next term and a half underneath my speakers in an attempt to flatten them out…they are playable now, after 45 years!

I have yet to find a live “rock” album with that combination of superb sound and phenomenal band performance.

Of course, with the digital version, one has the option of loading the rips into Audacity and swapping the Left & Right channels!

1 Like

The Bellowhead farewell tour is a riot, in a good way. I was there too. Special memories

2 Likes

Yes, it certainly was! Saw them at the Cambridge Corn Exchange on the farewell tour. One of their most exciting gigs was at Victoria Hall Saltaire which has a sprung floor! The poor sound engineer was hanging onto the mixing desk as it bounced around with the crowd.

1 Like

For those who are not familiair with his music I would like to bring Frank Zappa under the attention, who released more live albums than the average full discography of any other artist. In my opinion Zappa is the absolute master of live concerts. The live albums are a big part in Zappa’s discography because that’s where the magic happened. For this reason he even used live recordings for some of his studio albums that he overdubbed.

For my FZ live album top 10 I have limited myself to the official albums. Since his dead in 1993 the Zappa Family Trust has released a large number of live albums of which most are completely redundant, even for a big fan like myself (with some exceptions).

1. Zappa in New York (1978)
  2. Roxy & Elsewhere (1974)
  3. You Can’t Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 1-6 (1988-92): A massive collection of unique live moments throughout Zappa’s carreer. Vol. 2 contains a full concert from 1974.
  4. Bongo Fury (1975): With Captain Beefheart
  5. Fillmore East - June 1971 (1971)
  6. Baby Snakes (1983)
  7. Does Humor Belong In Music? (1986): Includes a guitar solo from his 15 year old son Dweezil
  8. The Yellow Shark (1993): Classical album with Ensemble Modern
  9. The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life (1991)
  10. Just Another Band From L.A. (1972)

Enjoy!

4 Likes

download

What about broadway the hard way?

Excellent choices and every single one of them an example of Zappa’s prolific career. You could also have included another half a dozen but Skeik Yerbouti deserves a mention.

Nr. 11, but also a nice live album. For my top 10 I had to chose between The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life and Broadway The Hard Way …

1 Like

Sheik Yerbouti is one of my favorites but I consider it as a perfect example of a studio album with lots of live basic tracks and even more overdubs. You can indeed argue whether it is a studio or live album. There is at least no audience on the record.

I’m a big Zappa lover so I don’t have as much issues with some of the family trust releases. I have loved Roxy the movie (finally saw what Brenda looked like !) then the complete Roxy, I liked FZ OZ and so on. I’ve got the Halloweens and the big live in NY. Granted there is a bit too much, even for the hardcore fan, but the bands were superb and the banter and differing/evolving versions are always fascinating. I balked at the complete Hot Rat and now the 1970. Thankfully these are on Tidal, so I’ll listen before I buy, if I buy :slight_smile:

The period with Flo and Eddie is my least favourite so I would replace a couple on your list, but these are personal choices.

1 Like