Best Live Albums

Ah. Not yet the worse for wear though! Good luck later this evening’s game Kev.

1 Like

G

14 Likes

Lucky you too seeing Bowie all those times.

To me, the Glass Spider tour was more like a musical than a gig (and I hate musicals!). Wasn’t he farting around on a swing or something and lots of dancers? Hence my “silly” comment.

As for the Isolar Tour that, as you know, was captured on the “Stage” releases and the recent “Welcome to the Blackout” release - I think it was recorded later in the tour and sounds very tight and an excellent release.

If you saw him in 2002/03 - was that the Reality tour? The Dublin gig was released on DVD and is also a fabulous gig, lots of not so well known tunes and Bowie in great form.

I suppose I can forgive him one crap tour but did it have to be the only one I saw!!!

2 Likes

That was Isolar II. Isolar I is captured officially on the Live Nassau Coliseum '76 album. There are also some great boots of that tour.

2 Likes

weld

If I have to narrow it down to just one.…live album. (I reckon I would choose the same if I had to choose just one Neil album).

9 Likes

Didn’t realise that!

I have seen the Nassau one on Qobuz, must check it out, thanks for the steer.

1 Like

That was his first tour of Aus and obviously the first time I got to see him. Think it was around 78 and the shows were based on the Stage live album. It was an excellent gig, however I started right at the front about 2 rows from the stage and due to a crowd surge ended up near the back.

John Watson sent me the direct recording off the the sound desk for this gig. Like you say wow. You can here the sound man do his thing when needed😎

1 Like

Just announced… Pre order…

Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound Of Thunder 2019 Remix [Live]: Limited Edition Triple Vinyl

4 Likes

Yes great stuff, I seen him twice that year in the UK. My favourite Bowie gigs I saw were two of the Newcastle ones in 78 and the Newcastle 95 show. Seen him 13 times (UK only) and am an obsessive fan, his passing still hurts, the greatest musician to have lived in my estimation.

2 Likes

I agree Kev, I must have every one, particular favourites are ‘Neo Expressionism’ and ‘Bowie’s Back’. Non are particularly great recordings (how I wish for a few more soundboards!) but he was on great form.

1 Like

I love the Yessongs album, but the recording has always been disappointing.

Oh, and another plus for Filmore East.

1 Like

Both of those are better than the official Nassau album @Blackstar, despite the poor sound quality…

My favourite boot is still ‘A Portrait In Flesh’ though, I wished they’d left the full intro on the official Cracked Actor release.

1 Like

I agree about Yessongs - it’s great music but suffers from poor SQ. Even Progeny: Seven Shows from Seventy-Two isn’t much better, despite the claims at the time of its release. However, have you heard the Keys to Ascension set? That enjoys far better sound.

1 Like

No, I haven’t. I’ll look that up and have a listen. Thanks for the tip.
It’s funny, but it’s hard to find time to listen to all the music that’s available. Especially now that it’s all available via streaming.
Bands like Yes, I pretty much have to find time by myself to listen. My wife likes some of their songs, you know the ones, but for the deeper cuts it’s really an enthusiasts listen. And it’s also not something I would play if we have friends over, because I prefer to play it louder and really get into it.
I have my system in our main living space recently, and of course it’s a bit of a double-edged sword. But I do find that I’m listening to over twice as much music these days, now that it’s here instead of in a separate listening room.

2 Likes

Difficult to asses live albums as you’ve always got some idiot screaming. Unless edited out. Roger waters the wall live in Berlin is ok

Just about to get a copy of Gilmour Live

Gdansk or Pompeii?

Gdansk, all day long. :+1:

3 Likes

The best live album ever made, the in-concert portion of Ummagumma, has the best of all worlds: Roger Waters screaming like an idiot! Which is frickin’ awesome.

5 Likes