Best Live Albums

The reason I took the knife to my piggy bank and bought myself a CD player all those years ago:

3 Likes

Your not going to believe this but Many Many moons ago in Erdington in Birmingham I was at that concert late 60s cant really remember much about it but it was really psychedelic nowt like late Floyd

Just released today in hi-res on Qobuz - fantastic album

12 Likes

Roger Waters Us + Them.
Really impressed with the sound quality of this new release. Highly recommended for all Floyd and Waters fans. Yea, the old classics but beautifully played with v upfront sound and enriched by some house shaking sound effects. Includes tracks from the latest studio album too.

11 Likes

I am using quite a lot of angelo Saxon, the quality of this recording is exceptional

6 Likes

Two live albums I have been rediscovering recently.
took the Joni album along when auditioning the Karousel and other potential Linn upgrades. I had forgotten how good the band and recording were, and with Joni’s songs and voice it is a really great listen. And with every upgrade demonstrated, the band just seemed to get better!

The John Mayall album was his first after Mick Taylor left to join the Stones. No drums, no driving lead guitar, but some really good interplay between Mayall, acoustic guitarist Jon Mark, sax & flutes by Johnny Almond and Steve Thompson bass. Recorded at Fillmore East. I got the record for Xmas in 1969 and saw the band live the following summer, good memories.

5 Likes

Diana Krall Live in Paris.

8 Likes

14 Likes

Under the great northern sky- The White Stripes
Live at Sin-e - Jeff Buckley
Automatic for the people - live for Greenpeace - R.E.M.

1 Like

Saw it at cinema , bought tickets to treat a friend. He had booked a holiday, so I went alone.

Very happy with decision .

Ian

1 Like

Now listening… nice

Yeah, that’s a good-un.

CD? Live on Air is also available on vinyl as “Ry Cooder - Broadcast from the Plant” https://www.discogs.com/Ry-Cooder-Broadcast-From-The-Plant-1974-Record-Plant-Sausalito-CA/release/7585100
‘troll

1 Like

@Antz

Agreed. This Eagles at the Forum is a great album. Heard it on Quobuz and I was sold on the Quobuz platform as much as the Eagles revival.

Listening and watching…Dire Straits Alchemy 1983 is on Sky. Brilliant. I forgot what an amazing guitarist Mark Knoppfler is. Good production and sound too.

4 Likes

Allman Brothers, Live at Filmore East.

7 Likes

This is pretty great.

Maiden/Live After Death

2 Likes

Ah, here goes my wallet! I have a real fascination with live albums. currently have the CDs on separate shelves from others. This got fired up in Lockdown V1.0 when the now defunct Planet Rock magazine published a list of what it saw as the top 100 live rock albums of all time. So, that started one burst of spending… Some classics I’ve discovered recently were Bill Haley and the Comets first ever gig in Paris, which was in effect the first rock and roll concert ever in France. It’s pandemonium at stages. Also Jerry Lee Lewis live at the Star club in Hamburg. So part from my Rock affliction, I’m a lover of smooth jazz (yeah, I don’t understand either!). I’ve got a few great live albums from Acoustic Alchemy (Is that the best name for a band ever?), Incognito and Candy Dulfer. Would welcome suggestions for more of the obscure ones… I love the vibe that comes form the live performances, and I think that Rock and Jazz are particularly well suited to this form of recording.

2 Likes

41yKOzi-IUL.AC

Ranee Lee Lives Upstairs (Master on Tidal)
My favourite track - Fire and Rain