Best Live Albums

Bit of heavy blues for Easter Monday… Great energy and raw live music. Doesn’t sound like too much was done in the studio afterwards.

9 Likes

Listening to Santana’s Lotus today. Good stuff.

9 Likes

Melody Gardot - Live in Europe
Wowzer!

14 Likes

This is brilliant. I particularly love Dean Town.

Vulfpeck - Live at Madison Square Gardens

https://tidal.com/album/123770024

1 Like

Another contender for good live ‘dirty rock n roll’ is Easter Rising by Patti Smith!

One of the first LPs I bought.

I haven’t listened to it in about 35 years until now!! Thanks for the prompt… and it still sounds great!

UFO were a bloody great band. Saw them at the Hammersmith Odeon in about 1980 or 81 when Michael Schenker had left, but they were still a great live act. Enjoy the listening… :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I’m just about old enough to remember my brother introducing me to Doctor Doctor in the early 80s. Another live album, not featuring UFO, was Monsters of Rock 1980 where Rainbow headlined. That was my intro to rock.

2 Likes

That sounds a great album! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Playing this now. The sound quality is better than I expect.

Goodbye Tour_Small

9 Likes

Road To Hell And Back_Small

I’ve always loved listening to Chris Rea late at night. This live album is really good.

5 Likes

Wow…so may replies I’d never see all. I may even have already posted this…I never said I wasn’t an airhead! The intro is a fantastic guitar interplay.

8 Likes

It’s a great album Intro/Sweet Jane is a stand out.

5 Likes

I agree

I have the album, but it’s tainted for me after seeing him live in the Summer of '72 at a Kings Cross all-nighter. He didn’t appear til about 3 A.M. and was frankly dreadful - the second worst concert* I’ve been to. His renditions of old and new material was perfunctory and he looked utterly disinterested, whilst the bass guitarist pranced around like a drug-addled Tigger.

Plus, when everything ended and to drugs had worn off, we sat around with the rough sleepers, waiting for the Tube to open.

• Van Morrison, Rainbow, where they recorded parts of Too Late To Stop Now.

Yeah a bad show can put you off. I’m not a big Reed fan. But this show was pretty astounding. I heard Dylan was really good or bad. And when he was bad he sucked.

Yup, I saw him on one of those occasions.

Same with Van Morrison - I saw him here in Sydney in the mid/late 80’s and he sucked

Probably the worst concert I ever went to and I’m a bit of a fan, mainly of his earlier stuff

Van is another who has a gem that I’m not a huge fan of. And since Van spoke out against lockdowns and whatever less so. I’ve posted his “Live at the Grand Opera House Belfast” before, one of my favorite albums period.