Best Live Albums

I agree. Excellent bass player and when he plays keyboards, he is often playing bass with his feet, on pedals. He also came up with one of their best and most interesting songs. “Black Dog” I often think of him as the glue.

3 Likes

Yes, You’re right! That’s the thing about TUF and NQ… He’s playing the keyboards and bass pedals. Fantastic. I also love th bass on Good times, bad times… He’s great.

1 Like

The Lemon Song for me is the best exhibition of his skill with the bass. The whole song revolves around the bass guitar which is not all that common.

1 Like

Not at all. I probably listen to this as much as TSRTS. Jason did his dad proud that evening.

2003 recorded at the Royal Festival Hall

Love - Forever Changes concert

Regards,

Martin

2 Likes

And don’t forget that wonderful bassline (and playing) on “Ramble On”.

3 Likes

These might not be everyone’s cup of tea… :wink:

But if you like heavier music, Devin Townsend’s live registration at Royal Albert Hall is really great. Below is a sample, best appreciated over decent speakers.

Another awesome live registration is Nightwish at Wacken 2013:

BabyMetal live in Japan:

3 Likes

Always had a soft spot for this since its release.

G

5 Likes

This has been my go-to live album for almost 50 years. I haven’t found a better one yet.

14 Likes

Not previously heard a note from this lot. Thanks for this!

P.S. the Babymetal is delightfully bonkers.

1 Like

In the rock / blues genre, I probably would agree with you.

I was at that gig, the whole of the circle was moving up and down at an alarming rate!
When we took our seats there were little paper flags on sticks on each seat and instead or reading “Gabba Gabba Hey”it was “Gabba Gabba Hay”!

We were there too. Every organ in my body was vibrating along to them. The album doesn’t really do justice to the power and energy of that night.

You lucky fella; I must confess to being a little envious Chris. I often ask people “who is the artist/band that you wish you’d seen and never did” (I should start off a new thread on here!).

Anyway, mine was The Ramones. The energy coming out of “Its Alive” is just extraordinary.

2 Likes

I also saw them at The Roundhouse in June of 77 which was even more exciting, opening acts were “The Saints” and “Talking Heads” not bad for £2…back to the thread!

1 Like

Phenomenal blues-rock set. I got the CD back in the late 1980s and still find it an exhilarating listen :+1:t3:

4 Likes

Little Charlie and the Nightcats - Captured Live. I’ve loved this since it came out in the 90s.

Saw them in Melbourne about 20 years ago and it was just as good as the album.

Im not a massive fan of the Live album, I much prefer the studio versions and then seeing it for myself Live, of course if that is possible!
But 3 of mine would be:-
Scorpions (supported by Blackfoot) were one of my earliest gigs
having seen Slade multiple times at the Birmingham Odeon around this time (early 1980’s, not 2019 when the Expanded Version was released!) and they were amazing gigs.
and my all time favourite live album (as posted and mentioned by several others earlier in this thread)
The energy that was present that night really comes through, absolutely awesome. (@ChrisG Lucky Man, I didnt get to see them until a few years after that)

2 Likes

One of my favourites though Rick Derringer overshadows (in a good way) JW somewhat. Also has some nice drumming from Bobby Caldwell who went on to form Captain Beyond. Linking to this I can recommend Roadwork by Edgar Winter’s White Trash, another fine live album where Rick almost steals the show.

2 Likes