Best Live Albums

Some of my favourites are
Neil Young Live at Massey Hall
Van Morrison It’s too late… A night in San Francisco
Elton John Live in Australia
Ryan Adams Live at Carnegie Hall.

3 Likes

I love Live albums, there are very few that I don’t like and generally it’s becasue they just sound odd. Ones I do like:-

Peter Frampton - Comes Alive (i think)
Renaissance - At Carnegie Hall
Any Elton
Any Erasure
Eurythmics (can’t remember the title)
The Tubes - What do you want from Live
Roxette
Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous

Too many to list…just love em.

One I don’t like…and not because of the songs

Bananarama (out recently, they sound like they are in a different theatre to the band and audience)

Here’s another one

Ramones, ‘It’s Alive’ (1979)

This amphetamine-paced double-LP served as a Ramones career retrospective, smack at their peak, and shows the Queens crew almost stumbling across hardcore around the same time California was inventing it. Over four nights in 1977 at London’s Rainbow Theater, the punk pioneers blasted through 28 songs from their first three albums.

3 Likes

… and one more (there are too many good ones)

Unlike countless ‘live’ albums over the years, Live Album truly is a live, warts and all, no-frills recording. So much so, that it is, at times, a brutal ride.

1 Like

I can’t believe no one has mentioned The Who - Live at Leeds yet!

5 Likes

What a live album - what a stage show never got to see them live but it must have been something else.

4 Likes

One of my favourite live recordings of Joe.

2 Likes

This concert is sublime:

2 Likes

Someone did, about 45 posts earlier!

1 Like

Phish - Slip Stich and Pass
Grateful Dead - Live / Dead
Zappa - Roxy & Elsewhere
Allman Brothers - Fillmore East
Hendrix - Band of Gypsies
Badger - One live Badger (not the quality)
Yes - Yessongs (not the quality)

Just off the top of my head

Outside of rock . . .

14 Likes

My favourites are: The Allman Brothers @ Fillmore East (undoubtedly without peer); Humble Pie Rockin’ The Fillmore; Caravan @ Fairfield Hall; and The Who Live At Leeds. Nothing revolutionary there I suspect. Both the musicianship and the sound quality on these performances are exceptional. Of the other albums I have, the odd track here and there are excellent but aren’t as consistent as the complete albums I mention.

3 Likes

Those boots were something else, ironically first saw them on the Tube tv show with Paula and Jools.

2 Likes

I caught them back in 1977 on the Old Grey Whistle Test - they had two drummers, three guitar line up plus Fee Waybill up-front!

1 Like

Saw them several times in the 80s, and saw them twice in the last 5 years in the UK. Much smaller venues, but they still put on a good show, less of the theatricals, but not totally gone. The sight of a 70+ year old in spandex and 10 inch platforms is something to behold…and boy do they enjoy themselves, cracking band.

2 Likes

Especially the electrified versions eg Isis, it ain’t me babe but also the solo acoustics. Not sure about the Baez duets.

3 Likes

I think you mean the Live Adventures of Mike Bloomfield and Al Kooper. Super session is a studio recording.

You’re right. Not sure how I got them confused!

1 Like

Archive - Live at the Zénith.
MArco :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

First time I’ve come across Fink. Had him on all day. Superb.

2 Likes