Best looking vintage Hifi gear

I had the same experience.
I listened to just about all alternatives at the time and the dealer was quite disparaging about the Naim Nait 2.
But the Nait was clearly head and shoulders above anything else.

Well, there was an Index and and Index+ (not to be confused with the Index II with the Ku-Stone stands). The plus was the much better speaker. IIRC the first Index was boring or to put it in other words, simply irrelevant.

1 Like

Yeah…I had the guy interrupting the dem…extolling what he saw were the vitues…and do you know what…I just left the shop feeling it was over hyped. Don’t get me wrong its a good amp but the sell back then was a poor experience. A bit like the not the 9 o’clock news sketch… I think dealers have evolved allot since then…back then it was the height of Linn/Naim whole flat earth thing…

Here’s another of the R2Rs, a very early 2 track Revox 77A, which became better known as the A77. Seen here with the transport cover open.

17 Likes

Just being nosey on the bigger picture what is the deck with the Aro installed?.
Looks very classic and retro. :+1:t2:

Not wanting to answer for Richard, I think it’s this beast

4 Likes

Garrard 4F.

You can keep your fruitboxes. This is the original biscuit tin.

13 Likes

I lusted after that Denon before I finally settled on the Krell kps25s.
kps25s_frontcu

10 Likes

oh yes!
I love it!
meridian101-front

A purchase I made strictly for their looks. :star_struck:

20 Likes

the old Krell were on top at that time. With Levinson and Audio Research. Nice gear the Krell Kps :+1: :+1:

1 Like

47Labs Shigaraki DAC and PSU. Understated beauty.

7 Likes

My first ever turntable…not exactly beautiful but a simple elegance maybe!

6 Likes

They did a Statement pre and power too.

8 Likes

I had one of these. Fantastic machine. One evening, I took it to record my twins playing saxaphone at a school concert. It needed fresh batteries, so I bought a set if Duracells from W.H. Smith. One of them leaked whilst I was trying to use the deck and totally buggered it. I made a successful insurance claim but at the time was unable to find a decent replacement D6C, so instead bought a Sony TCD-D100 portable DAT recorder, which has been very good.

1 Like

Can I ask where you got it restored as I’m looking to get my one done ?

1 Like

Following @kuma

47 lab Gaincard power amplifier

8 Likes

I bought it from PFM classified ads already completely rebuilt by the owner a few years ago.
He did all the electronics himself and had the wooden case professionally restored by a cabinet maker. Not much help to you I’m affraid!
Jonathan

Hitachi DA-1000 CD player

13 Likes

A very historically significant item, to be sure, but ‘best looking’? To my eyes it looks like it belongs in a medical laboratory - a centrifuge for separating bodily fluids, perhaps?

Mark

This is already posted by someone much further back.

But yes, it represents the 80s mindset of the vision we had of the future back then. And it was cool. That Hitachi is pure 1980s cyberpunk. The design on those displays, while atrocious from a hifi perspective, taps into something at the core of many a psyche in that era. An amazing bit of design.

4 Likes