Best looking vintage Hifi gear

I think it’s not always my English, just sometimes I don’t understand what is so evident to understand. Or recognise people that are in front of me, searching more in the crowd. :joy:

2 Likes

You can guess what is pictured. Not difficult. Perhaps the best fm tuner of all time. Still very expensive, even if vintage.

9 Likes

It’s just a standard Nait2 that bridged the transition from chrome bumper to olive case work, so it was only made in pretty limited numbers.

1 Like

Original Roksan Radius. I demoed one alongside a Systemdek IIXE 900 back in the 90s. The Roksan still looks good today I think! Aged better than the Systemdek. I bought the Systemdek, which is still my main analogue source, but it was a close run thing.

(Not my picture, must resist eBay this time of night!)

10 Likes

I’ve always regretted not buying a Troika (I went for a Dynavector XX-2 instead). It looks so damn sexy on board the ARO.

Do any Forum members have experience of the Goldring or Esco Troika rebuilds compared to the originals when new? Is it worth my trying to track down a used/knackered Troika and having it rebuilt? (And if I were to do that, I’d have the additional cost of buying to K boards for the NAC52, which would be a few more hundred squids on top.)

There’s a thread from at least one forum member all about it :slight_smile:

Thank for that. I’ve been away from home for about eight months and my iMac has not backed itself up during that period (long story!), so it’s not as easy to search as it should be.

Does anyone know if Goldring can send me a rebuilt Troika from old stock that they have in-house? In other words, can I skip looking around for an old/knackered cartridge to send in to be rebuilt?

I’m floundering a bit here, so any help gratefully received!

Iconic designed am radio.

7 Likes

Monsieur Halibut,

This is a gorgeous piece of kit - I have it in my garage with its accompanying power supply and power amp. Whilst I am a huge Naim fan (one system in the living room and another in the dining room), I am loath to admit, the 35+ year old Meridian has better soundstaging. Aaah, nostalgia ain’t what it used to be.

All the best,

G.

1 Like

My brothers refurbished B&O turntable still looked good. Sadly destroyed beyond repair in a garage flood recently.

15 Likes

My Creek 3140 tuner has been my most used source since I bought it with my first system in 1988. Maybe some day I’ll get a proper FM antenna installed and find out what it’s really capable of.

1 Like

Nice.
It reminds me my dream turntable more than 20 years ago, the Well tempered reference. I nearly bought it. But finally got a brand new SME 20/2a for a wonderful price.

3 Likes

Found that thread for you. May help.

I love the CD3 - still a great fun sounding player.

3 Likes

Maybe. Although, of course, the Audiolab had a forerunner in the shape of the Lentek…

4 Likes

I bought this amp as a student back in the early 70s courtesy of an oil rig construction job during my summer vacation. I had really wanted a Lecson, but couldn’t quite afford one. The rest of the gear I purchased included the Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference turntable with 9" Fluid Arm and a pair of Celestion Ditton 66 speakers. The following year, I added a Pioneer tuner and Technics RS-279-US
cassette deck:

Technics rs-279u

One of my biggest ever upgrades though, many years later was when I purchased the Danish Primare 928 pre amp with 928 Monoblocks. Effortless and silky smooth sound with an understated design that in my eyes easily deserves to belong in this thread:

17 Likes

That’s some nice looking casework on the Primare amps! (My plastic cased NP5 just scowled)

I coveted a P50 and had saved enough to buy one plus TT an speakers. I went into a local dealer to lay the money down only to be told that Cambridge Audio were on the verge of bankruptcy and I would be better off with something Japanese.

Being young and stupid I took his advice.

It still rankles after 50 years.

1 Like

Though I was never a fan of cassette recorders - I was familiar with reel-to-reel ones, being a half-amateur musician who recorded material with friends - I admit that these ‘flat’ designs were much more likable than front-loading ones. To me these are the true cassette decks. Whoever has never made a compilation for a loved one raise his hand please…

Quad Electrostatic ESL-57. Surprised they haven’t been mentioned. Although I’ve never heard these speakers, I’ve always really admired the mid century aesthetic design. Would love to hear a fully refurbished pair one day.

081320_vintge_gear_quad_esl-57_promo

19 Likes