Best looking vintage Hifi gear

Thank you, McM, I recognise that as Manfred’s work! What style!

Can anyone think of a better looking loudspeaker?

That’s a 12 inch. Should make someone very happy!

Is it still possible to buy that TT/arm combo today?

We had this set, along with the Rega 1 which we still have in use and I posted a picture of a short while ago. They looked good together with all three having the wooden surround. I found this photo on the web - not our set.

22 Likes

A lovely early(?) example of the LP12. I don’t recognise the tonearm, though, can you enlighten me, please?

Personally, I don’t like the ‘smoked’ lid, and I think that the deck would be greatly improved by the more modern clear one. But I recognise that you may want to stick to the ‘original’ style.

1 Like

The system we had at home as a child was Quad based, can’t recall the turntable. Still stands out as a simple and functional design.

38 Likes

Grace G707, I think. Linn’s original recommendation, pre Ittok.

1 Like

How silly of me! The preferred combination, when the LP12 was first on the scene, was Linn/Grace/Supex.

You don’t hear of Grace arms these days, and I’m not even sure whether Supex cartridges are still made. Legend had it at the time that Supex cartridges were hand-made by some Buddhist monk or some such rowlocks.

Does anyone know the fate of Grace or Supex?

Thanks so much. The amp, with its standard writing, is exactly what I had. It was a lovely thing indeed. I remember, in the late 70’s with rampant inflation (I’m saying nothing here!!) that I’d saved up the necessary £140, which had been a hard slog. I turned up at the shop with my £140 cash only to find the price had increased to £152! I was horrified. Maybe because I was only 17 they very kindly let me have it for the £140. £12 was a lot back then and £140 was a lot to generate from a summer job.

11 Likes

I think the challenges involved in buying kit when you are young and strapped for cash make it all the more cherished and enjoyable when you eventually can afford it but then hard to part with (which is why we still have the Rega this combo was paired with).
These were for sale for £250 in March 2020 :grinning:.

1 Like

Ah, the famous Quad ‘sleeve’ with the FM3/33 onboard. Those pesky chaps at Quad never quite got the knack of designing their power amps to match in size. Yes, I know that they had the 306 for a time, but that was woefully underpowered.

There’s one of those on my wife’s office system, and another on daughter #2’s system. Both still in use.

1 Like

My memories of it likely exceed its capabilities, I seem to recall we had the Quad power amp shoved behind a cupboard.

You are probably thinking of the M1 with sloping front, or the M10 or M100 which were huge multi driver speakers.

1 Like

Yes, the Meridian M1. Lovely design.

Are you blind Graham?

The smoked lid is infinitely superior to the clear one. Mine is still in mint condition despite now being 41 years old, but like many, is now virtually the only remaining part of my original deck along with the outer platter & lid hinges!

I have always thought that Linn introduced the clear lid clearly so some could show off their expensive arms & cartridges! I was pleased that my smoked lid hid my cheap arm & cartridge for some time until I could afford to upgrade.

Despite reaching the heady heights of an Ekos/Krystal, I am still more than happy with the smoked lid.

I am now waiting for someone to advise me that the clear top sounds better than the smoked one…

BTW I am also in the camp of lid on or off when playing makes no difference at all & also has the benefit of keeping more dust off.

2 Likes

£12 will soon only be enough to run the A & R A60 for an hour or so…

Here’s my A60 in 1982/3:-

20 Likes

No, I’m not blind, but that you for asking.

Good question. Is for example the Linn CD12 posted above considered as vintage ? I would say the minimum is 30 years. But don’t know for sure.

1 Like

Golmund reference turntable. Not really pretty but so impressive. Designed around 1985.

8 Likes

What an ugly looking thing. I wouldn’t give it house room, even if I were offered money to do so. Quite ghastly. Wretched.

4 Likes