Best looking vintage Hifi gear

I am not stupid enough to ever claim that equipment A sounds better than equipment B on this forum but, I am prepared to stick my head above the parapet to claim that a smokey lid looks better than a clear one on the LP12!

3 Likes

Smokey lid a definite advantage here Graham?

No, it’s ugly as sin. I imagine that’s why Linn dumped it and introduced the clear lid 30 or so years ago. But if it floats your boat…

1 Like

Seen some very good reviews of the new Technics amps and fortunately I don’t have another room to convince me to put one of their turntables with one of their new tech amps and some speakers.

Else I would be trying to convince myself….

Rosita commander maybe ?

13 Likes

Sorry Kev, that wasn’t the daddy , this was

Near metre of portable mayhem, 12 batteries , wooden detachable speakers and 70 watts.

Had one for years, what a machine and a phono stage!

4 Likes

Just wow

1 Like

I had a pair of Meridian M2s, twice! Bought em, sold em’ and bought them back. I liked them but not as good as my earlier Bricks.
Merdian M2

5 Likes

Crappy picture, but the Nakamichi 600 pre, power and cassette were stunning. They looked fabulous benched out side by side.
Nakamichi 600 amp and cd

8 Likes

And finally, the Dynavector DV505. I grafted one onto my LP12.
Dynavector DV505

4 Likes

If we are talking vintage then I’d suggest the B+O music centres and the tangential record players.
However, is chrome bumper officially vintage for these purposes? When does vintage start?Preferably a point in time that predates my involvement in hifi, please!

4 Likes

Remarkably I found an image of a DV505, on an LP12, with a Mitchell A Cotter step up. My exact set up! Photo looks terrible, but I would point out in my defense my arm was black, I had removed the heavy base plate from the arm, so it looked less clunky. Oh, and I replaced the Linn mdf armboard with a solid aluminium one. And I had the felt mat. So MY LP12 looked very cool. I had toyed with anodizing the armboard electric blue to match the Cotter, but couldn’t find anyone to do it. Settled for brushed black anodizing.
BTW, the Linn guys were horrified that I dared use an aluminium arm board. And I used high tensile bolts to secure it to the subchassis. This was in 81.
LP12 DV505

12 Likes

Fantastic!

1 Like

My journey was Phillips D8444 (80 quid) followed by the original Hitachi 3d super woofer (130 quid) , had a design fault where the handle would fall off! Refund led to the daddy of the Phillips 8644 (180 quid). All 80s prices

The last one was the party saver , once a cheap amp had blown up the Phillips was pressed into service with speakers jammed into the sockets and never let anyone down.

Phillips missed a trick with additional power supplies !

5 Likes

My current tonearm Abis SA-1.2 do have some of this look, although not in the range of the current Dynavector DV-507MK2.

Regards

2 Likes

That’s them! Fabulous. Back in 1978 I spent rather too much time at the Brighton Cassette and Hifi Centre, and that is where I heard the Meridian active stuff, and the wonderful Dalquist DQ10 speakers. It was through those that I discovered the genius to Tom Waits. Craig, who ran the shop with his dad, was working on the original Onix amp at the time, and there were always bits of it around the place. They couldn’t set up an LP12 for toffee but it was great fun.

That looks great. I saw a used LP12 with the current Dynavector arm, (DV707?, I’m uncertain of the exact model), about 2 years ago. They wanted 10k euro. I looked up the price of the arm and nearly died, $8k AUD, and my old Koetsu Onyx was pushing $10k AUD. I will check if your tonearm is available in Sunny Perth

1 Like

Here in Sunny Perth DQ10s were generally sold with Phase Linear or Amcron. So I always thought they were iffy. I got to hear them once at the end of a Krell KSA100. My opinion changed!
DQ10

1 Like

And this beggars belief, but SARAs got me into Tom Waits. And unlike the piano, I had NOT been drinking. Much

1 Like

I heard SARAS for the first time in Lintone Audio driven active with a pair of 160s. Magical at the time. Both SARAS and the original 160 must be considered as best looking vintage gear