Best looking vintage Hifi gear

I enjoy your rather eccentric pictures. They remind me of a story by M R James A Warning To The Curious or a Warning To Those With More Money Than Sense

2 Likes

That’s fascinating, Richard. I had never heard that slant put on the story.

The CD player that Naim produced more than made up for the absence of a cassette player, I think. I do remember the fuss caused by the announcement of the original CDS, as Naim had previously made noises about CDs and CD players as not being up to much.

Thanks Ian. I posted nice, to my eyes, but also eccentric, as you said, for the fun.
If someone doesn’t like, why post ? In that case better make some joke on it, rather than just saying it’s ugly.

3 Likes

I think it was meant as a joke.

He should have ended his sentence with an exclamation mark (!) to make it clearer.

@Richard.Dane @graham55 – There’s a 2003 Stereophile interview with Ivor (Tiefenbrun), in which he talks about Linn experimenting with making a cassette deck in the 1980s. Apparently it was a four motor, four-head beast. in the end Linn decided that the cassette format itself had too many flaws, and they concentrated on building CD players.

Interview here: https://www.stereophile.com/interviews/1101ivor/index.html

1 Like

Back in the day when they made hi-fi as well as trains, Hitachi produced some decent-looking kit, like the D5500 tape deck:

9 Likes

In the 80’s I was recording concerts with my Sony WM D6 portable cassette recorder. I had so great fun doing that. The sound could be very good.
I wonder if this Marantz was better ? Maybe Richard knows.

10 Likes

A bit sarcastic joke….

If it was the PMD430 then it had the advantage of 3 heads and off tape monitoring. I never had one though so no idea how it compared against the the Sony TC-D5 or WM-D6.

2 Likes

Yes, I think that’s all it was.

The poster was not intentionally being unpleasant towards you.

1 Like

It must be a cultural difference in appreciation :wink:

I just think it was a reply that was supposed to be funny but was badly written & did not read as the poster intended.

I am sure he did not intend to be unpleasant towards you.

2 Likes

I feel certain it was intended for fun, also. Linguistic considerations in an international forum.

FR, all I can say is that I wish I knew French (or any other langauge) as well as you know English.

1 Like

Thanks Dr Mark. Mark is your name or first name ?

His first name is Birth I think.

1 Like

Mark is my first name - Neil is creating more language-based humor!

Or trying to!

1 Like

Birth Mark? Not understood yet
Or Bismarck ?

A “birthmark” is something that appears on the skin (usually, but not always) from birth, usually a skin discoloration (such as a “cafe au lait” spot). They are almost always benign and harmless and require no treatment unless someone wants them removed for cosmetic reasons.

1 Like

That looks like a laboratory hotplate! Are you sure you’ve got the correct pic? After all, there doesn’t appear to be a spindle, nor any arm fixing…

Edit: in fact it is a hotplate! Not so good for your precious vinyl!!!
Look up MEZIERES-RÉCHAUD TABLE DE CUISSON BLANC MODULABLE 1 FEU 1000W

6 Likes