Best looking vintage Hifi gear

Crap - and here I have been waiting all afternoon for my soup to heat up on my turntable.

I feel such a fool!

Well, at least it’s well stirred…

3 Likes

It was a joke IB .
You are right, it’s an electric cooking plate. :grin:

Not so good, for sure, for our beloved lps. Or maybe to correct a warped one.

4 Likes

For some unfathonable reason a young version of myself acquired a used version of this.

I was very taken by its minuscule looks and would go out on field trips recording spies and dinosaurs.

4 Likes

Lol, you recorded as many of one as the other?

1 Like

Reminds one of the (very) old joke;
“Can I use my dictaphone”?
“No. You use your finger like everyone else”!

7 Likes

What do they say about the old ones being the best ones?

I have something similar (a dictaphone, not a d@ck) tucked away in a drawer somewhere, but made by Sony. I have absolutely no idea where, when or why iI acquired it. And what the heck can I do with it now, if I ever find it? I suppose that I could sit in a dark corner of my local pub, whispering coded messages into it.

I wonder if it is still possible to get blank tapes for the thing?

The Beocord 2000 deluxe looked even better. None of the internet photos I can find do it justice. B&O made amazing strides in tape recorder design in a very short time. Their Bel Canto from ~1962 was quite a basic design with BSR mechanics. In many ways the 2000DL was the ultimate enthusiasts’ machine. Available in both suitcase and teak box housings and with every possible facility a home user could want or need, even inbuilt RIAA to allow direct connection of a magnetic cartridge equiped turntable.

1 Like

1 Like

Ah the days of Goldfinger, did you ever think laser beams in appliances would be an every day item?

best wishes

Ian

1 Like

Don’t know if 25 years equals vintage but I’ve had these Royd Priors since my since my first Naim purchase back in 94. Great set of speakers and about to be retired at the end of the month.

6 Likes

My old Musical Fidelity A308 was a great piece of kit. Weighed a ton but also heated the house!

7 Likes

I’m not sure this ticks any boxes in terms of external looks:

Better internally:

But what makes it stunning was its specs: first of all, over 70cm (28”) deep and weighing in at some 95Kg (15stones)! With a choe regulated power supply, and rated at a ‘mere’ 250W RMS per channel (though apparently that was conservative) - in Class A. And it could deliver +/-100A peak (200A peak to peak).

I lusted after it for a while, until discovering its size and realising its fuel consumption meant it would be best converted to water cooling to provide all domestic hot water and probably most winter home heating requirements on idle!

8 Likes

To be replaced with…?

(Don’t be shy.)

Jeez. It must come with its own lifting plan.
At least my MF NuVista 300 at 65kg is spread over two boxes.

Neat Orkestra’s.

1 Like

I remember HiFi shows full of stuff like this, lovely!

Sleeve

The quadraphonic stuff, with so many dials and in some cases even an oscilloscope built in

16 Likes

Back then Marantz was still an American company with gear designed by Marantz himself in New York.

3 Likes

My first serious amp was a Marantz, it was great amp.

Never thought Id see DQ 10s on the forum! , mine sound incredible with my 500DR setup, (bought my first pair in Sydney 1981, got the second pair 8 years ago and they will be keepers .