Best looking vintage Hifi gear

i think they are over 20 years now saw them life once at a shop and was impresed these are the best looking or at list coolest looking speakers ever tag mc laren f1
F1grey

1 Like

Oh well, tastes differ!

2 Likes

True but we didn’t carry them about very often. Well I didn’t, bleeding heavy/bulky things!

Yes, the one on the right looks as if it’s about to give birth. The other one may be, but we just can’t see.

Bit of the Rogers A 75 about it. Wish I had kept mine. Great matching tuner too

1 Like

Chris - your secret is safe with us lol!! But the mere fact you kept them implies they have some kind of emotional resonance attached to tape even if it’s just nostalgia and I’m not sure a shared playllist would still hold such memories 20 years down the line. I have a couple of tapes I made for a longstanding girlfriend from student days and when we reconnected after 25 years she revealed she still had them even though she had nothing to play them on. I made duplicate copies of those when I compiled them so we would each have a set and those reside in my loft, she still has the originals.

Sweet memories of sweeter times…

Jonathan

3 Likes

Wow!

Luxman L-81 amp. What a beauty!

21 Likes

Eclipse TD712zMk2

I have a pair of TD508’s which I love

9 Likes

:joy:

I think the other one had too much to drink and is stumbling.

Luxman is always gorgeous. Have they ever made anything unattractive?

1 Like

Haha. The new stuff barely looks any different.

Timeless rather than classic. New and 40 year old Denon amps also look identical… though they seem to only ship black in most foreign markets instead of silver used for domestic.

I think you might have intended that for one of the other posts with a picture.

In the 80’s Luxman went through a bit of a slump, the Alps group bought them, and it all got a bit mainstream plastic and leds. The LV-105u was particulary awful. It sounded OK, (very soft top end to compensate for the super bright CD sound at the time), but as dealers we were a little peturbed by the build quality and design aethestic.

Luxman LV-105u

3 Likes

My 80s hi fi was dominated by NAD, I did have an expensive Caver CD player but it was so unreliable that I traded it in on a NAD. It certainly wasn’t the best looking but their stuff was simple, affordable and damn good in their day.

19 Likes

Id put money on the most common starter sytem back in the 80s was a Dual CS505 turntable, NAD 3020 amp with Wharfdale Diamond speakers…and QED 79 cable…anyone have this combo?

6 Likes

You may well be right there! My first real TT over 40 years ago was a Dual, although I can’t remember the model number. I then moved onto a Thorens TD160S, with a Mission arm (773 or 774?). I then bought my lovely LP12 over 30 years ago, which I have still (although I struggle to think whether any single part of it has not been replaced in all that time).

1 Like

Said thing is I can’t remember what turntable I had think it was a Rega but I wouldn’t bet on it. As for speakers I have no idea one thing I do know they weren’t Bose, most of my mates had Bose and I never liked them.

Mine too, into a Denon (model long since forgotten) and a pair of Mordant Short MS10’s.
Lovely sounding system in our first home, a modern, but tiny, Studio Flat in Totton Southampton :blush:

Rega made a turntable for NAD that was basically a RP3 (or was it a 2?) in NAD grey. They sold very well with the 3020 amp. If I recall correctly, in the shop we basically went from the NAD badged Rega straight to the Linn Basik as the next jump.

2 Likes