Best looking vintage Hifi gear

For a 12 or 13-year-old kid in the late 60s, yes…it was positively bougie.

1 Like

Ah this 12/13 yr old (1955 vintage) was ripping apart a mono Murphy radiogram and repurposing tis parts into wooden boxes of my own (poor) design and attaching a whole two speakers :slight_smile: 1970’s brought my first hifi - Bush music centre. :rofl:

2 Likes

The music is transmitted by means of a laser beam!

3 Likes

Cheryl the best vintage looker there!

3 Likes

My parents bought me a Dansette Junior for about £12 in 1962. It started me on a long road of hifi upgrades but my excitement with the Dansette has never been surpassed!

3 Likes

Which one is he?

1 Like

But do you find it nice today? As it’s the goal of my thread. But I confess not having explained it .

Sorry to spoil it, but that should read "Fewer Bucks More Fizz’ (and there should be a comma in the middle too).

I think it is called ‘advertisers license’.

1 Like

Advertisers are drawn from the very best graduates from the best universities. It’s surely not asking too much to expect them to use the King’s English (as we must call it now) properly, or is it?

The whole “fewer” vs “less” thing is much more a question of taste than whether it’s King’s, or to be chronologically correct, Queen’s English. Except, perhaps, for Waitrose shoppers.:older_man:

Roger

Sorry, I disagree profoundly with that.

We’ll all go to hell in a handcart if people stop using language correctly.

2 Likes

Here we go again, another thread about to breakout into a gramma war.

1 Like

But is it a hand cart, or is that merely the politely and possibly incorrectly changed word from the ‘hell cart’ as used to describe the carriage that prostitutes travelled in ( 17th century derivation)? Both words and grammar change over time forsooth.

2 Likes

Perhaps a topic for a thread in the Lounge, to avoid annoying @frenchrooster by too much diversion in his thread.

Roger

4 Likes

I still have my tcd-340. great machine. Looks like the 320 pictured except for (flat) electric switches instead of mechanical ones. It also had key-hole cut-outs on the rear and clip on feet (removable) so that it could be wall mounted. Looks really/ really good like that.

A lovely '70s cassette deck in the shape of a Marantz 5420.

9 Likes

Love those console type players.

Well the Apostrophe protection society threw the towel in around 2019. I don’t think many people care. The English language is so rich and is constantly evolving so you can’t hold it back in reality. Weel bee awl tawking towtalee diffrant inn ay undred yeers. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Scandalous how they nicked the design from Amstrad though…

1 Like