I would get of these below, if available and in good working condition
Really its a matter of being available
If not possible just get a Rega for now and wait:

CD5X or CD5XS with PSU
CDS2/PSU
CDS3/PSU
CDX2/?

1 Like

I had a CDS until the transport gave out and with no parts to fix it, became a very expensive doorstop. I next owned a CDS 3 w/XPS2, played through a 252/250 non DR with Linn Isobarik speakers. That is now my current second system. I have to admit, as good as the CDS 3 is, I often grew tired of listening to it, especially if I played vinyl on my LP12 soon before or after. A few years ago I acquired a CD555 with 2 DR’d PS to play through that same system. The difference was breathtaking. It was much closer to analog sounding than the CDS3. I was able to A/B the two players and anyone who listened had the immediate and exact same reaction.

As I upgraded the rest of my system to a 500 and 552, both DR’d, the 555 got even better. As you may have seen in another thread, I just got a Statement system last week and will be getting back my CD555 from the shop (failed lid mechanism) and can’t wait to hear what it will do in that rig.

I guess my point is, after climbing the Naim ladder with CD players and the rest of their gear, I would strongly advise to go for the best (CD555 w/ 2 555DR power supplies) if you can swing it. Whatever future upgrades you may choose for the rest of your rig, the 555 will help make them shine and you will never have second thoughts or disappointments.

4 Likes

A few years back my 555 drawer mechanism broke. No amount of attempted resets would work so it went back to Salisbury. The exisiting plasic drive was replaced by the more durable metal one along with some software components. On return it came back a better player from the off and quite a bit better as well.
It has 2 x DR power supplies and currently a Chord Indigo cable to my 552. On lockdown relaxation I will be looking at an SL as a replacement. Last night I played a CD of Stravinsky’s Rite of Spring, an analogue recording from 1977. Wow, did it do the job and some.
Mitch, when your player is up and running again and with the Statement you will find your late nights will soon become early mornings. Enjoy.
I find one of the most significant improvements is the ability to increase volume (not to insane levels) and still be comfortable at that level. Very hard to feel its “overblown” in sonic terms.
All the Naim top players from the origional CDS right up to the 555 have given more music as you progress up the tree.

1 Like

Mitch, when your player is up and running again and with the Statement you will find your late nights will soon become early mornings.

Awesome concept (wife’s objections not withstanding).

I think you already live like that Mitch

Tru dat! LOL

I was lucky enough to pick up a late 1997 CDS / CDPS in early 2017 an awesome piece of kit. So analogue play it most days especially when I’m doing jobs around the house !
Main listen is a Tangerine Audio Stiletto LP12, Armeggedon, Aro, Kiseki Blue NS and Trampolin 2, speakers DMS Isobariks.

Regards,

Martin

3 Likes

Ian, the CDS is a two box player, so you can get the power supply section recapped. But my understanding is that if working head unit shouldn’t be messed with.

To the OP. A CDS (1) should be considerably better than a CDX - Id be wary if it isn’t performing to that level. Its a fine player (I have had one for years), however I wouldn’t recommend getting one now. Its way beyond end of life really, so the idea above of going for a CDS2 / CD3 or 555 is probably the best advice - I don’t expect to be able to get it fixed if it stops working.

The question for those who already have CDS(1)s is whether to get the CDPS serviced or not. It could end up being money down the drain if the head unit fails soon, or it could be a while with the higher performance - a bit of a gamble really. Also does anyone know if the CDPS can still be converted to an XPS?

1 Like

Thank you. Mechs can still be had for CDS3 and maybe 555 at least, which is a consideration.

A CDPS can’t be converted to an XPS but, if it’s a later (white dot) unit with Burndy then it can have the Burndy converted to work with CDS2, CDX, CDX2, CDS3 etc… head units. Or else just have a suitably modified S-CDPS Burndy made up, as this improves performance.

2 Likes

Thanks. It’s strange I found it so flat. My partnering equipment maybe?

Thanks Richard. Does a converted CDS PS work well with CDS3?

…and can they still be serviced? Being a PS I assume they can

It works fine, but I would definitely go for a suitably modified S-CDPS Burndy rather than an earlier grey one with a CDS3. And a service would be a very good idea too. However, after all that, you’re probably best off going for the proper XPS2, or XPSDR or maybe even a 555PS, which is lovely on a CDS3. Add a Powerline and a Hi-line too.

2 Likes

@haydj - Fully aware the CDS came with, I think, the CDPS (?) - as a package.

The CDS’s CDPS appears to have morphed into the XPS, when the CDS2 came in, in 1998 - according to Naim Product History -Product history | Naim Audio. Bit like the 52PS morphed into the Supercap. My understanding is that in both instances (CDPS & 52PS), there were changes made to the design.

YMMV, as always… :thinking:

2 Likes

It’s funny how some really seem to like the CDS3 and others don’t - it’s all down to personal preference. Investing in a 555 without auditioning would be a leap of faith I feel, and one DR PS, let alone 2, would be a stretch.

1 Like

Cds3 here with 555ps and perfectly happy with it sublime player . I think the big issue is finding a good one in which someone will part with

3 Likes

I recently picked up a freshly serviced CDS2 and am on the lookout for a power supply to get it up and running

It may seem slightly strange to go down this path when I have a streaming solution in place already but I am pretty sure this has spoiled some of the enjoyment of listening to music as too often I find myself skipping between favourite tracks rather than listening to a CD as a “musical piece”

Only time will tell as to whether this is the start of a further step back in time to vinyl for me but this topic is interesting as I am still to decide whether to go XPS/XPS2/XPSDR/555/555DR for the PS…

4 Likes

Pleased to read others with same experience.

I’ve heard streaming against some top class CD players and apart from explore options I’d never really got into the game (even I own a couple streamers).

Vinyl & FM still my number one.

1 Like