Best Naim CD Player choice?

The power supply will significantly change the style of the CDS2. An Olive XPS would be in keeping with the warmth and musicality of the player. The XPS2 and XPSDR will make it more accurate and neutral sounding. The 555PS will take it into a different realm of depth and soundstage.

It depends what you want. With the CDS3 the 555PS sounded amazing, but the XPS2 sounds a little less detailed but very good indeed!

Depends on budget and taste.

1 Like

Thanks Dan, yes, you seem to have tried out a few options with the CDS2 and 3 so read your posts with interest

I’m thinking an olive XPS is the way. to go, just need to find a nice one now

1 Like

Sounds like a good move Chris. It will be a lovely match and be completely in keeping with the original design and sound of the CD player.

It sounds like silk and very natural. You will love it!

Martin, AFAIK you and I are the only LP12 owners using Kiseki cartridges (PurpleHeart NS in my case). And I listen to CDs on a CDS3 (VS your CDS) because it sounds analogue to my ears. Coincidence?

Claude

1 Like

I have had the following combos

CD5X
CD5X/Flatcap X
CDS3/XPS-2
CDS3/XPS-DR
CD555/2x 555DR

If I were buying a CD player again I think the sweet spot is definitely the CDS3/XPS-DR. I used it with the 282/SuperCap-DR and 552-DR along with a 300-DR. It really is an excellent player and gives everything I ever needed/wanted. The CD555 was certainly better, more analogue and more detailed with excellent bass but for the additional cost vs a CDS3/XPS-DR I would refer to it as diminishing returns territory. The CDS3/XPS-DR can be had for less than a 555PS second hand after all!! Use a SL interconnect and a Powerline if you can.

I was a die hard CD fan and never imagined streaming however now I have moved to an ND555 I can confirm it not even close. Think 202-552 jump but it comes at a cost!

3 Likes

As an owner of CD555 and CDS3 (with 555PS) I can confirm that, although both players are real class acts, the difference is not small. If I was to do this again I would go straight to CD555/555PS. Admittedly though at a big price difference from CDS3/XPS so it should be clearly superior.

Benefits also hugely from SL in place of Hi-Line.

1 Like

Looking at a big difference in price point between CD555 and 555PS and CDS3 with XPS2. No doubt the difference is worth it. For under £3k I got myself a fabulous CDS3 with XPS2 and got it serviced within that price point. Value for money is a consideration. Money no object CD555 with 2 x 555DR PS all the way!

2 Likes

Fantastic deal and value for money !

I am trying to resist the temptation of 2nd 555PS but people on this board such as Mitch are not helping. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

If you have the funds then go for it. When I do I would be very tempted! :wink:

1 Like

Sadly it would require additional racking, which would probably involve another upgrade to get kitted out with Fraim !!

Cold Turkey cure required. :joy:

1 Like

Richard, how do I tell if I have a “white dot” unit. It certainly has a Burndy but its grey.

s/n is 80538, so about 1992. Wow it will be 30 next year!

Yes Claude I use the Kiseki Blue NS lovely cartridge couldn’t quite stretch to Purple Heart after buying the Stiletto.
Maybe next time the Purple Heart.

Regards,

Martin

Usually there’s a white dot painted by the Burndy connector. Otherwise run the serial number past Naim support.

2 Likes

Afternoon Richard,

I am I right in saying the grey Burndy from CDS to CDPS only passes voltage to the unit ? So it would be no point in changing it to a black Burndy?

Regards,

Martin

@Arthur-Lee the difference from grey to black burndy (SXPS I believe) is quite impressive. I have sold a few to people upgrading from Grey and all have said best vfm upgrade they have made.

Martin, yes it passes voltages, but it’s definitely very worthwhile to change to black S-CDPS Burndy. A quick A/B demo is all it will take to convince.

1 Like

I was in that exact same situation in 2018. After considering options, went with CD5XS, (while, they were still available).

Have since added a nDAC and DC1 which is worthwhile upgrade.

I also understand that adding an XPS PSU is another worthwhile step.

So, from a simple start, lots to grow into…

I am content I have a Naim CDP that will provide great service for maybe 25+ years. Hope that helps you with your own journey.

1 Like

I was fortunate to find a recently serviced ‘pre-loved’ CD555 for a reasonable price from a well-known dealer. I never imagined I would end up with one when I started out on my Naim journey.
If you are patient and keep looking for one you won’t regret it…:smiley:

2 Likes

I had my CDS converted by Naim into a CDS2, I think they basically slid the CDS out of the case and popped in a CDS2, the CDSPS was returned with a white dot on the rear and a modified Burndy cable, £1500 well spent! Now they sit here in their packing awaiting new pastures as streaming has taken over for me plus an LP12!

1 Like

Hi Richard,

I wanted to pick your brains I’ve purchased a Atacama 6 shelves in November and due to the pandemic I’m unable to pick it up till mid May.
My question is removing the CDS from my current rack do I have to lock the transport screws on the CDS if I’m lifting it off to a table ? Whilst I remove the old rack and replacing with new rack.

Regards,

Martin