Best Naim CD Player choice?

Martin, so long as you’re really careful then it shouldn’t be necessary to lock up the tray and floating boards. Just don’t jog it as you’re moving as the main issue is avoiding the locating pins from jumping out of the cups on the transport tray.

No, they are for transporting from Naim to the dealer and final buyer. Just be careful and all will be OK.

Thank you Richard I will be careful !

Regards,

Martin

I am going with CDX and happy with it

1 Like

It’s more complicated. There are models where the drive is not replaceable, period. In this case, the risk of shipping is best taken only if it’s really broken.

Others have replaceable drives, and then it seems to come down to a judgement call. For my CDS3 purchase last year (2007 model with 1250, but it would be possible to replace with the new drive in case of shipping accident), I asked on the forum and NeilS as well as Richard seemed to tend more towards being cautious and avoiding shipping if nothing is wrong with it. I also asked Naim support and they unequivocally recommended service and confirmed again after I pressed them regarding the forum advice and shipping risks. The distributor through which it would have to go, however, agreed more with the cautions approach and not to ship if not broken. My dealer finally simply refused to send it, for the reason that it’s in perfect condition apart from being 12 years old, and they have seen far too many fatal shipment accidents.

In that situation I would stick it in my car and drive it to Class A in Sheffield. No disrespect for the excellent work that the service dept at HQ do, but trusting a delicate and irreplaceable item to a courier is risky, and avoidable.

1 Like

What I’d do with a cdp. Bit of a shame you can’t do that with naim too. No way would I entrust a delicate item to a courier. Driving it in your car has to be best.

I have removed some posts. Would members please abide by and respect forum rules. Thank you.

Given the courier risk there must be some way naim could accept cd players delivered to the factory by hand? It can’t be thousands of people who can so but might minimize some risk…

For better or worse, Naim’s servicing pipeline really isn’t set up to accept hand-delivered items. Since I live less than an hour from the Mothership, this is a bit tedious, but I accept their decision to have a ‘one size doesn’t quite fit all’ system.

To pick up on another point from earlier, I too have found Naim’s email advice to operate on a default of ‘Service every 8-10 years’ no matter the item concerned or other context. By contrast, dealers and the forum seem to give much more specific, nuanced and, dare I say it, helpful advice. I suspect this is a case of generic company policy decisions resulting in a lack of helpfulness, but I hope I’m wrong.

Mark

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.