Best Pathway to SN3 & ND5 XS2

No, it can’t. The ND5 can control the SN but not vice versa.

1 Like

Seems like it should be an easy option to add via firmware. Maybe they’ll consider it for their software roadmap. It would be a nice feature. Thanks again @anon4489532!

I doubt it, system automation is one way. Naim amps (Pre-amps and integrated) only have an RC-In socket, not an output. The infra-red remotes are deliberately on different frequencies to avoid contention.

The preamp remotes use regular IR. The streamer remotes are completely different, using Zigbee, so the SN3 remote cannot talk to the streamer directly. I doubt the digital controls of the streamer could be controlled via the IR signal.

HH… FWIW - I ended up with my NDX 2 on the top shelf with the SN 2 below then HiCap DR and XPS DR on the bottom. I felt there was a slight improvement in SQ with the further separation of the streamer and power supply.

Interesting, when I had NDX2 Supernait2, definitely sound was better with Supernait2 on the very top of the Fraim. Didn’t have the XPS tho but did have the HicapDR on the bottom.

1 Like

At the moment, grappling with my hearing aids I probably couldn’t tell the difference. I chose the SN on top because it looks nicer and the volume and mute are easier to reach. I initially had the NDX on top and it looked silly. In fact, the turntable is on top.

1 Like

When my SN3 and ND5XS2 arrive, can I just stack them physically on top of one another. At some point I’ll get a proper stand, but space restrictions currently mean I need to stack them on top of each other (unless it would be a terrible idea or might damage something). I’ve seen lots of photos in reviews of SN3&NDX2 where they are physically stacked, but perhaps this is just marketing. I ask because the media cabinet I have is very small, mostly full of records. My Unitilite has sat on top to the left of my turntable. This is the only space I’ve got, really, so for now – unless there is a pressing reason not too – my plan was to stack the two units where the Uniti is. Photo of my current set up attached so you will see what I was thinking of.

4 Likes

You can, just put some paper or something under the feet or you will end up with 4 horrible marks on the case.

1 Like

You can physically do it but it’s the best way to ensure they sound as bad as possible. They really do warrant a proper stand or at the very least to sit side by side on the top of your unit. One option might be to put the Rega on a Rega wall bracket, thought it’s not the prettiest option. If you do stack them temporarily, put some paper cutouts beneath the feet of the top box, otherwise the box beneath will end up with four rings on too that you will never be able to clean off.

1 Like

I like this idea. I’ll check out the wall bracket option for the turntable over the holidays and will stack (with paper as advised) in the interim. Thanks @popeye and @anon4489532.

Contrary to some might say: stacking components is not a recipe for disaster:) this is what I did with my recent nait xs3 and nd5xs2 and sound is gorgeous. So check for yourself if you find this to be terrible or maybe great. I’m not saying that it wouldn’t be better on proper (whatever that is) furniture but saying it’s tragic to stack is way out there IMO

1 Like

If you go down this path take @popeye advice and “put some paper or something under the feet”.

2 Likes

I managed to find a 3.5mm headphone jack each end cable and connected the Nait to the ND5 xs2 using it. I enabled system automation in the Naim app and the volume and mute buttons now show up in the app and work just fine when playing through the streamer. I got a bit confused reading the post I’m replying to here but is it possible to use the Naim app to control the volume if I’m playing my turntable or have I just not figured it out yet?

Yes. Once enabled the app can control the volume of anything being played through the Nait. Have you told the app which input on the Nait the ND is using? You also need to enable the relevant preamp inputs in the app.

A tip with system auto is to make note of the settings. If you need to factory reset it looses them & its a lot easier than racking your brains in the distant future.
I have all my settings on a word.doc & a paper copy in with my manuals - yes we used to have real manuals in the good old days.

1 Like

Yes I’ve set the pre-amp input in the system automation to the right one and the volume controls in the app now work regardless of what input I’m playing through. I’m not too bothered about having the app switch inputs on the Nait because the only sources I have are the streamer and a turntable. If I’m playing a record I have to get up to put it on so it is easy enough to switch inputs on the amp while I’m there, likewise when the record is finished I need to get up and lift the to eat my off so again if I need to switch inputs I’ll do that while I’m up, and there’s always the Nait remote for that anyway

What you’ll find is that after you’ve played a record, if you then select phono in the app, you’ll then be able to play from the streamer and the amp will automatically switch inputs. Useful if you forget to switch while you are up.

1 Like

Ah right, I just noticed all the pre-amp inputs enabled in the app beside Severs, Internet Radio etc :+1:

1 Like

Yes, that’s it. Turn off the ones you don’t need. It makes the app easier and neater.

1 Like