Best Pathway to SN3 & ND5 XS2

Second the nd5xs2 with suoernait 2 … it’s a fab and musical combo…

5 Likes

Absolutely correct. I have just recently found this out. I went with the ND5 XS2 as a transport, as it seemed unanimous that in this configuration versus a standalone NDX2, the performance would likely be too close to make a difference. Boy does this combo of a SN2, HC DR and ND5XS2 siiiiiing!

2 Likes

@jsawyer09 when you say “transport” do you mean you have a DAC between the ND5XS2 and the SN2, or do you go from the ND5XS2 directly into the the SN2?

Yes, the former. I use the DAC from my Rega Saturn-R player (dual Wolfson WM8742).

Knowing you have the Harbeth 30.1 speakers I would suggest you go with either a SN2 or SN3 vs the XS3. In past discussions regarding the Harbeth 30.1 on the forum it was mentioned they enjoy power for top performance.

Also since you have the Rega P6 is there an advantage of selecting the SN3 vs the SN2 since it has the “MM Phono Input via RCA, 47k parallel 470pF input impedance, suitable for 5mV cartridges” listed as a feature. I do not use a TT so others who use a TT with a SuperNait may be able to chime in regarding using the phono abilities of the SN3. If the phono capability of the SN3 is not going to be used you may be able to save some money going with the SN2 as others have mentioned.

My first streamer was a ND5XS with an XS2 and it was a very fine system. I ran the ND5XS with my SN2 for a short period of time and then upgraded to a NDX and then again to a NDX2. There was a uplift in performance with each upgrade. After having the NDX2 for six months I added the XPS DR PS for the uplift, for my system in my room with my ears, was amazing.

I appreciate the fact that taking time to build a system on available funds and planning is the best way to move forward. I would talk to a dealer regarding which SN would work best with your existing P6 setup to insure you are getting the best results for that source. With either SN and the ND5 XS2 along with the P6 and the Harbeth 30.1 would make a sweet system. You can always upgrade to a NDX2 down the road when the funds are available.

Good luck with your decision…

3 Likes

On the question of the SN3 phono stage in my (limited) experience I would say it is very capable. I run my LP12 majik (jelco arm/Lingo4/Karousel) into it and the results are excellent.

I imagine it would be very well matched with an RP6 but as mentioned you should demo if at all possible, or at the very least consult your dealer.

Good luck!

1 Like

@WhiskyGuy I’m using a Rega MM cart: the Exact 2. My current preamp is the Rega Fono MM. I assume the SN3 would be a step up on the phono preamp side? (If it’s a step sideways I may look toward the SN2 used).

I can’t comment on the Rega Fono but I have the same turntable and cartridge combination as you and also a SN3. Mine goes via an Aria phono stage, which I bought at same time as the SN3 as I had heard it together and was stunning.

Until fairly recently I hadn’t tried the vanilla SN3 phono stage but curiosity got the better of me and I gave it a go.

In isolation I would say anyone would be happy, as one might expect it suited the sound and style of the amps presentation and gave a thrilling listen.

It was only on return to the Aria that I then noticed how much more quiet it is and really appreciated the refinement it brought whilst still having energy.

I would imagine you would be very pleased with the results via the SN3 phono and for me it was an improvement over the stage line I used to have into an xs2, all with HC DR.

Interesting. Thanks @Adam1. I’m not ready to upgrade the Rega phono amp but could always sell it after an a/b comparison if the SN3 is better.

Well, I made the leap. Ended up landing on the SN3 and ND5XS2. Budget was already stretched and I just couldn’t see an NDX2 in my future. I’m sure this combo will be plenty enjoyable and am looking forward to it arriving. It’s on order from my dealer to the Naim/focal distributor in Montreal now. I gather things are moving slowly at the moment so I’m not sure when I’ll take delivery. Thanks all for the guidance along the way.

14 Likes

Congratulations @TO_Vinyl! Now the worst part is the wait for delivery, followed by the run-in phase. It’ll all be worth it. Great choice and combo. Perfect for your P6 as well.

2 Likes

Yes, congrats TO, you’ll love it. That’s an excellent combo. As it it breaks in, your music will sound even better.
Down the road, if you can find a used Hi-line cable to connect them, it adds a nice touch. I have an SN2, and I don’t know if I’ll ever move on from here.

4 Likes

I think you’ve made a good choice. I’m really enjoying my SN3. I previously had a Rega Ania with Fono MC; when the SN3 arrived I swapped the Ania for an Ortofon 2M Black moving magnet. It works brilliantly on the Planar 6 and it’s great just to be able to plug the turntable into the back of the amplifier, just like in the old days.

When you get the ND and SN don’t forget you can link them by a 3.5mm jack cable and use system automation, which enables you to control the volume and mute from the Naim app. It’s a really useful feature and works well.

4 Likes

Would this work with the Nait XS2 as well? Can I simply get a cheap 3.5mm jack cable and link from the IR out on the ND5 XS2 to the Remote in on the Nait and use system automation to control volume from the Naim app?

Yes it does

1 Like

Absolutely, yes. As my SN3 is immediately above the streamer I only wanted a short lead - I found a 0.3m one on eBay for £1.49 including postage and it works like a dream.

Well I’ll be damned, never knew that. I just assumed that as the ND5 said IR Out it meant some sort of infra red. I’m sure I’ve got one of those 3.5mm jack cables around somewhere so I’ll have to dig it out

1 Like

One thing to be aware of: say you use the remote or button to choose say aux for your turntable on the Nait. You then use the app to play something from the ND and expect the amplifier to change source, and you’ll find it doesn’t switch. That’s because the app doesn’t know what the buttons on the amp are doing, until you tell it. So if you choose the aux input on the app and then play the ND, it will switch inputs.

If you switch to aux on the app, play a record, and then choose upnp or Qobuz or whatever, as soon as you start playing the amp will change inputs, with the front button and volume knob illuminating.

It’s easier to do than explain, and I suspect I’ve not explained very well.

1 Like

The Ortofon 2M Black moving magnet is a great cartridge - mine is unused atmo. since I am increasingly focused on local and internet streaming - but when I get round to reconnecting it via my GrahamSlee phono stage into my non-Naim pre/power of reasonable quality I do expect some of my older albums, originally mastered for analaogue/vinyl to shine through.

PS. congratulations on your new system.

@anon4489532 do you know if the SN3 remote can then also be used to skip tracks, pause playback, etc? I.e. does it talk to the ND5XS2 as well as the ND5XS2 talking to the SN3 volume?