Best phono stage to use with Dynavector 10x5

The xx2 mk2 is on my radar when my Benz ACE sl is retired. Which fortunately or unfortunately does not look soon. ( 4 years old)
It sounds even better now it’s bolted to the RB3000 on the gyro se. Which in itself was bought in preparation for the xx2. Somewhat ironic that the RB3000 has delayed the change rather than be the enabler.

What Darran did for me and @IanRobertM albeit not to a stageline.
But, he knows what to do, and is authorised to do it by naim central. And it’ll cost a lot less than a new MM. And the result will sound great.

That is an option i’d not considered and while not a yorkshireman by birth their fiscal diligence has rubbed off somewhat…

Daren did some re-capping on my CD 5 some time ago so I will give him a call and thank you. This does seem less messy and less costly and not an option i had thought of

Chris

1 Like

You can’t convert an N to an MC type.

1 Like

grabbing the bull by the horns i range him immdeiately and you can’t covert an N stageline to an E. You can convert other MC stagelines to E but not the MM to MC

Hew was very helpful though

Of course. :frowning:

Sorry for giving you false hope

Stageline…

Or from 322 N to 323 x, or 522 N to 523 x.

You can only convert with the 323 or 523 series.

(I has 523 S’s converted to 523 E.)

Not sure if a Stageline S or K could be converted to E…?

As I think you alluded to, your Stageline could be pretty much swapped for a MC version. There are two Stageline S on that auction site we all avoid naming right now. At least one looks sensibly priced and from 2017. I don’t know how much Class A would charge to convert them to an E though. There’s even an E model, though in the US :confused:

1 Like

Yes, it should be possible to convert between S, K or E.

1 Like

Logical - and interesting - for Stageline owners… :slight_smile:

I imagine the circuit is the same/similar with S, K or E, in the Stagelines.

For what its worth I have a DV20X2L on my Michell Syncro with a Rega Aria phono stage feeding in to a SN3 and I can assure you there’s no problem with gain or sounding weedy.

Thanks everyone at least i now have some solutions im just wary of making more expensive mistakes

You can convert an S to an E but am unclear on the benefits of doing so but at least you guys have helped in getting me clear on issue and offered various solutions so thank you

1 Like

Hi

I understand you can power the phono directly from the Nait XS or with a seperate power supply which I am doing at the moment using an FC2. You seemed to suggest this isn’t enough to power the MC phono ?

I am just looking for the simplest low cost solution to my problem. If this means replacing the stageline N with an MC one I will but I dont want the additional hassle and expense of buying an HC

I could simply swap the MC Dynavector for s good quality MM and keep the stageline N

I just need some solid advice I can run with

I’m almost certain the XS aux output can power a MC Stageline just as well as a MM one. Your Flatcap2 should be able to as well. It’s “just” a 24V supply feed IIUC. I’ve never heard of issues with that. I’m sure others will step in either way too.

[Edit: I just read the post you replied to. I think the issue is that the Stageline, MM or MC, benefits from power supply upgrades. That’s a different thing than the XS aux, or FC2 based feed being inadequate. I run a Stageline N from XS3 aux, sounds flipping great. I’ve even read that some think the Stageline fed from aux based feeds are better than a dedicated FC or HC. Anyway, I’m sure the MC Stageline is ok fed from XS aux or FC2]

[Damn, edit 2! I read further up, there was a specific issue being discussed regarding the quality of the supply to the Stageline S when used with high output MCs X) I’ll shut up and let @Cymbiosis or @Richard.Dane respond]

1 Like

The lowest cost solution would be to change the cartridge then as a 10X5 is a great cartridge but won’t be showing it’s full potential in a P3. Unfortunately, I cannot mention the particular brand of MM cartridge I would recommend for you (Forum rules for trade members) now that Rega are not making the Elys but hopefully you cAn work iT out :slight_smile: Plus any cartridge change would require a VTA check and possible shimming of your Rega arm so as to maintain near optimum VTA plus correct alignment in the head-shell.
KR, Peter

1 Like

@Cymbiosis the Stageline S vs Stageline E thing. Is it the case that the E would be better, but the S ok if it had a better power supply? And if the OP bought a Stageline S, the safest bet would be having it converted to E spec?

I believe the best solution for Chris; I’ve just posted above.
However, yes with a power feed that can deliver a full 24v, then I’d stay with an S but if less than 24v is available then an E conversion would be a better idea. It all comes down to the quality of the feed and as Richard said above; it’s about headroom on high level vinyl cuts, so anyway I’d rank the SC top, then the 552 AUX2, then Hi-Cap, then the FC and then AUX2 on other pre amps and integrated amps.
So, less than a Hi-Cap I’d advise an E. Above that you should be able to use an S except in extreme circumstances, but the use of the S gives you a direct way to upgrade to a lower output/higher quality MC later, without having the expense of another Stageline conversion!
Hope this explains/clarifies my rather pragmatic thinking on this!

KR

Peter

1 Like

That’s awesome, thank you, and sorry to muddy the waters with my much edited post above!

1 Like

Ok I think that is my best option; im going to borrow a TT from a friend which is MM so I can compare and on the back of that will probably get a new MM cart and sell the DV MC

I will get back to you regarding possibly bringing in the TT for a new cart and set up when I am allowed out of quarantine

Chris

1 Like