Better dynamics after power off/on

I believe it is commonly recommended to leave hifi gear powered on at all times to keep it warm and ready to play at its optimum.
Today a few circuit breakers in my house were accidentally switched down, including the dedicated circuit to my hifi.
Power was down for several hours till I noticed it.
I switched the power back on and then about 5 hours later I started a usual evening listening session.

I immediately noticed the system was much more dynamic. It was so dynamic/louder that I turned the volume down by 5-7db from the usual volume setting I use (measured).

The main setup consists of:

• Naim Supernait 2 with TeddyPardo power supply upgrade
  • Chord Quest powered by a TeddyPardo power supply
  • 2 REL t7/x subwoofers
  • Buchardt s400 mkii speakers
  • All components connected to isol-8 power conditioner

Could it be that something in my system gets “saturated” over time due to being powered on 24/7 and the power cycle performed a “reset” that enabled the increased dynamics?
Could it be DC on the mains?

In my system, Naim and my dealer held that the very obviously improved dynamics post power up were evidence of something being wrong and most likely the need for a recap. They were absolutely right.

1 Like

I find a power cycle on the power amp at least ever month greatly improves things. Others have found similar. And that was from new.

Less of an issue now with spiralling energy costs where power amps tend to be off when not in use.

1 Like

My Supernait2 is from 2013, and I have it since 2018 and ever since has been on mostly 24/7 except for periods of long vacations.

Is a recap reasonable for a 10 year old amplifier?

10 years for Olive range sure. But usually in the 12-15 range for the Classics (everything released in the past 20 years).

1 Like

Naim and dealers have always advised me 8 years onwards for Classic series.

500 series is upwards of 15 years.

Phil

Does “recap” refer only to the big capacitors or to all capacitors through the PCB?

Anyone know what is the ballpark cost for recapping a supernait2 ?

It’s the toroidal transformer. This is one of the few routine things I do with my system these days. Power down once a month and clean all contacts. I feel I get the benefit but then again, my car always feels better after a service too :thinking:

Doesn’t that indicate DC in the main?
Would a DC blocker prevent it and help avoiding the need to power done every once in a while?

It’s certain capacitors, the big electrolytics are usually changed along with tantalum ones.

1 Like

FWIW I had an email chat with Naim about servicing recently. I think the current servicing recommendation is every 10-15 years across the board. For my Olive kit, I will use my ears to determine whether 10 years is a hard and fast rule.

1 Like

From Naim Audio’s website:

How often should I service my Naim product? This is a question often asked, and the Service Department recommendations are as follows: for the Chrome Bumper (circa 1975 - 1989) and Olive (circa 1989 - 2000) range products, we recommend every 8 - 10 years and for the newer Black products (2000 - present), every 12 - 15 years.

Black means Classic, I believe… :thinking:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.