Bi-Fraiming

Is it better to have 2 lower Fraim stacks if possible? or is one taller one ok?

I’m going to have to find space for a 500DR/500PS, 552/552PS, clock, streamer (dCS).

Is one stack easier/simpler/fine? or are two side by side better/more stable/sound better?

1 Like

Two smaller ones will sound significantly better. It increases separation and makes cable dressing easier. You should get a more relaxed and open sound. That’s what happened when I split my tall Fraim into to smaller ones back in the day when I had my CDS3, 552, 300 system.

2 Likes

Well a few problems you will encounter doing this, as i have the same system, but dont run fraim.
The DCS is to large for fraim, you can just about get it on the top, but its deep.
Also when you put the naim power supplies on the right and the amp/ pre on the left, its hard to not get the burndy cables on the floor, and really need to be atleast one shelf higher to achieve this, unless i guess you have a bigger cap between the 2 stacks.
The DCS also doesn’t really like the glass, so unless you have a fraim lite, you are going to have to get some different feet and use 3, something like stillpoints or iso acoustic.
I have been thinking about all this for months and what might be best, i was thinking fraim for the naim and just put it all in one rack, and then use what i have for the rest off the system. Only problem’s with this is, it will look odd, i might be taking a step backwards putting all the naim back in one rack, plus its going to cost a few quid to buy a 4 shelf fraim and base, and i am not sure i will get any sound benefits from doing this over what i have.
I dont think there is an easy answer to it, and one off the problems you get when you dont have a full naim system, but then the DCS makes up for it all and much more when you listen to it.

1 Like

Hi Dunc,

Is your system currently configured with three racks or two?

I would have two stacks of Fraim for the Naim gear and then maybe look at Fraim lite for your dCS and Rega gear. Maybe have the RP10 on the Fraim above the 552.

Perhaps look at tall or medium shelves or empty shelves to give space and allow for cable dressing.

It will be very expensive. I paid around £5500 for two stacks of mainly Fraim shelves to accommodate 9 boxes. And that was a mixture of used, new and demo. Slightly different shades of wood too!

Does it work better than what I had before? Definitely.

You have a good looking rack and have glass shelves and isolation so I’m not sure either if it would be best for you given the size if the dCS.

I can understand your dilemma!

Two will be better or even 3 with the dCS!

hmmm.
might just use Fraim for the Naim kit and build a solid shelf attached to the outside brick wall for the dCS as different stand will look odd…
or dcs on the top with streamer directly on top of clock (which dcs say is allowable) - have got larger glass on top coming…

1 Like

I know I’m late to the party and I’ve said the same thing on another thread, but Fraim is worth it no doubt about it.

1 Like

Yes it suits the naim gear, but not really the rest, the rega dont really like sitting on glass, the DCS kit is too deep unless you sit it on the top and then its too large still and also there is a question about that on glass as well.

1 Like

Hi dan, sorry only just noticed your question.
Right now i am running 2 racks, but i am going to go back to 3 i think, as i prefer the lower look, but will lose a bit off speaker placement freedom. But with the lower rack i do get the added bonus that the gear is lower in comparison to the drive units, might help, dont know, but i do have to be careful with the naim burndy cables, as they are low in this configuration.

1 Like

Well i am about to go fraim, shock horror lol.
Decided i needed to atleast put the 500 kit on it, so have givern in.
Also going to try the rest off my kit on fraim, its going to be a challenge, but i am up for it, i hope my naim appreciates what i am doing, and sounds better for it, but i guess we will see soon.
I decided if i was going to have fraim for the naim, then i needed the other rack to match it, or it will look very odd.
Not 100% sure how i am going to set it all up, but right now i think i am going to have to have both naim power supplies on the bottom, then 500 and 552 on the top.
Second stack, rega p10 power supply and next to it my headphone amp, then rega aura and rossini/ clock on the top.
The P10 will probably have to go back on the wall bracket, but would rather not do that if i can.
Anyway will see, plus it will give my more space around my speaker’s and i can pull them away from the corner more.

1 Like

My Fraim was set up by Peter from Acoustica - he put the power supplies on the bottom, then the 500, then the 552. Rossini and clock on the top, though I have the Rossini on top of the clock, but changing it around occasionally - aesthetics, mostly… We needed a larger piece of glass for the top to fit the Rossini on.

1 Like

Cheers
I will have, 2 standard height legs for both power supplies, then 500 with a tall over it with the 552 on top in free air.
I can match the other rack the same or mix it up, but going to keep one rack all naim.
I will be ok with the dcs kit, as i have different feet under it and this will work ok with the naim size glass, as it works ok now and my glass is the same size

1 Like

Will be very interested to see how it all turns out given the diversity and size of your components. I think it will work really well.

do the different dCS feet attach to the chassis, or what? am curious about this…

I have my Rossini on the top shelf of Fraim without any problem. Yes the feet extend ever so slightly off the front and rear edge however nothing really too worry about…

Now - that dCS does not like glass is something new to me.
Dunc - where did you hear this - and have you done any experimentation?
I have a set of HRH pucks which I purchased when I thought the Rossini would not fit however I never installed them. Perhaps I need to break them out?

Best
Gregg

1 Like

No, you can remove the standard feet if you wish, but i have mine on iso acoustic isolation feet, 2 at the front just behind the standard feet and one in the centre at the rear. Obviously this allows you to get all the feet on the glass, unlike the standard feet that over hang.
You just need to place them right, due to where the weight is in the unit

A few people using the dcs kit, have highlighted that glass doesn’t help, and quite a few hi end hifi manufacturers dont recommend glass.
I have tried it with and without and to be fair, i couldn’t say which one was which, but i prefer the look with glass. But i now use the different feet anyway and this probably overcomes any issue?, but my testing was done with a not so happy 552, which at the time i didn’t know about, but will be trying it once again when i get it back, but on the fraim this time round.
I certainly wouldn’t worry gregg, but you could always try it and give your feedback, as always good to get more views

I went brains v brawn 6 months ago and found a big improvement.

2 Likes

Nice and excellent use of a Bay Window.

1 Like

I was just thinking the same thing. :grin:

1 Like