Billie Eilish - Happier Than Ever - discuss!

I’ve been a fan for a while, and although I prefer ‘When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go’ to her latest offering, it’s great album. I love the production, the bass heavy compressed sound and in-your-ear vocals. And the way her brother pushes some software effect plugins to extremes is wonderful.

The sound is her signature just as much as her voice and the songs themselves and I think Finneas O’Connell, her producer brother deserves more recognition for his input.

Love the collaboration with Bieber on the remix of Bad Guy too.

So she is, had not noticed on smaller artwork sizes in Roon.

I did give it a brief play the other day, sounded good but I rapidly tired of it and changed to something else, probably needs the correct mood.

It’s a good record.

1 Like

I got that impression from the first couple of tracks, I just wasn’t in the mood.

Very easy to be sniffy about popular modern artists (me personally) but they are generally popular for a reason. My daughter is underwhelmed by it however - interestingly she now seems to dislike things I introduced to her she once loved, but more oddly things she likes I then enjoy suddenly become ‘uncool’! :rofl:

1 Like

Funny I was on board straight after the first track. I hadn’t paid to much attention to her earlier work but think she’s nailed it with this effort.

Is she 14?

1 Like

Today was my daughter’s 16th birthday. A nice challenge.

1 Like

Best of luck. :grin:

Thank you Pete, with a little help from my friends.

I’ve got 2 daughters and 6 granddaughters love them to bits but god they can be challenging. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Really enjoy the album. Particularly glad it is not a carbon copy of When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?. Some new experiments and styles which I really like.

BUT, as I have the vinyl of the first one which sounds really good, I was wanting to add this to the vinyl collection. For some reason it is suddenly between 10 and 15 Euro more expensive than new releases was up to now over here.

Is it like that everywhere? Is this a little gift COVID is bringing to the vinyl collector?

Yep, I played it today as it appeared on Qobuz new releases. Really enjoyed it, and I’m at the grand daddy stage. No issues with compressed heavy bass.

Phil

1 Like

I dunno. I think it sounds fine. SQ is pretty good on Hi-Res Qobuz, as has been mentioned. It sounds on-par with the rest of her stuff. As for the album, I think it’s quite good. I’m not particularly a fan or anything, but she’s consistent; you can pretty much count on what’s coming at you.
I didn’t know much about her until listening to SmartLESS with Jason Bateman, Will Arnett and Sean Hayes. It’s a fabulous podcast, and the episode featuring her was interesting…enough that I began listening to her stuff.

I think it’s a great album. I prefer it to most of her other stuff.
Currently using the track “your power” to assess and demonstrate my systems awesome bass capability! Her voice with those underlying bass thud sounds is very addictive to listen to.

3 Likes

Great point here. I thought the same for that track…that and the acoustic guitars’ clarity and separation.

1 Like

It’s a very good record, the production is top notch and even if the songs stand on their own, the production adds a lot to the whole album. However, i found some production choices are questionable from an “aesthetical” point of view. I can live without the auto-tune on the track NDA and the drums on the second part of my future are really bland.

Apart from that probably one of the best “pop” albums of the year.

1 Like

I see that here in USA too and it causes me not to buy records if they are too expensive. I’m old and remember when they were $3-4 each. I also remember that when CD’s came out, they were almost double the price of records … and now records are almost double the price of CD’s! I’ve just about got my head around $25 for an album, but $45 … no, just no!

2 Likes

Absolutely agree. I considered getting a turntable recently and then went to a store to have a look at record availability and pricing and very quickly decided against it.

1 Like

The weird thing is this album is still sticking out like a sore thumb in the price department.

OK Senjutsu of Iron Maiden recently came in at the same price but it is a double album and three vinyl discs. Other new releases seem to be hovering in the 20 - 30 euro bracket.

So what is up with this one, I have to ask myself?

Over here in USA, it’s not just this one. I didn’t buy Lorde’s new album (which I also really like) of either of Lana Del Rey’s last tow because the price was ridiculous!