Birding Time, Your local and international patch…

Nice one Mike😂

Yea but, Vegemite marinated Roo on the barby …… real bonza mate

1 Like

I’m so happy.
After a few years having a local blackbird strutting its patch with a dreadful din, a recent addition has been singing its best that would make its ancestors and potential mates quiver with the path to paradise.
When you get the right blackbird in the right spot no other competes IMHO.

4 Likes

Inquisitive fella in the gardens of Monet’s house in Giverny, France.
Autumn last year.

7 Likes

It’s nice to see the Goldfinches back in the garden!

Tim

15 Likes

Cormorant landing at dusk at a nearby wetland

Male Great Tit

Little Egret flying from the River Deben.

15 Likes

Great picture Timbo. What’s the camera and lens.
I’m lucky to have goldfinches in the garden all year round, over winter they seemed to be in a constant flock, disappearing during the day I assume for food in the nearby countryside, but evenings they do a lot of flock flying round in circles settling in the neighbourhood trees and dropping in to my feeders for a late evening supper.
Once they pair up there is a constant two by two feeding on my niger and sunflower feeders throughout the day, plus with the fledglings when they arrive.
Sadly they do seem to have been affected by the outbreaks of trichomonosis. About 15 years ago I had daily visits of x30 plus flocks feeding on my winter ground feed, what a joy.

And, they’re back! The waxwings usually appear up here in October, hang around for a few weeks before disappearing, and then reappear at roughly this time of the year, probably in readiness for their return to Scandinavia.

Just the one seen this morning, but it cooperated beautifully, perching conveniently on my neighbour’s fence.

@ChifChaf given it has officially been an irruption year, I hope you got to see some.

Cheers,

Ian

15 Likes

Just before liftoff…

…and the runway is quite wide and liquid, no traffic controller in sight. A pair of Common Mergansers deciding that I am getting too close.

6 Likes

Thanks @Mike-B the picture was taken through my dining room patio doors into the back garden. Equipment was OM Systems OM1 with 300mm F4 and 1.4 convertor. 1/1000 Sec at F5.6 ISO 250.

Tim

1 Like

You just can’t stop us, there’s kangaroos running wild in the Isle of White now kookaburras spreading everywhere. We’ve already taken over Tottenham , lock up your beer fridge and daughters. :grin:

1 Like

Mrs Gaz even found Vegemite on sale last week when we were away in Norfolk………the end is nigh😬

1 Like

Blimey, Earls Court was Australian 50 years ago.

It’s fully bohemian these days. And a dump.

Don’t think it’s a Redshank ,legs not red enough and too dumpy Redshank quite slim
Not sure what it is ?

Mandarin at NT Longshaw in Derbyshire. This one obligingly swam close in to me.

5 Likes

…and @Gazza

It could be a Turnstone
ID = Passage migrant and winter visitor to coasts around most of the UK.
Medium-sized wader with short orange legs and a short, dark wedge-shaped beak. In winter they have a greyish-brown back and head, with a white belly and throat separated by a thick blackish breast band that rises in the middle to form a half collar.

2 Likes

True, I’ve edited the post to make it more relevant. :grin:

1 Like

It’s nice to see the birds zipping about in the neighbourhood, I’m hoping to get some decent bird in flight shots this spring.

Tim

17 Likes

MS. Red-bellied woodpecker

A sunny short instant before flying away.

7 Likes

@Timbo what do you use? I love capturing birds in flight , especially taking off and landing… it amazes me how evolution has developed such sophisticated flying creatures.
I use Nikon mirrorless (z8 and z9) with usually my hand holdable 800mm f/6.3. I shoot 1/3200 for smaller birds, and slightly slower if I need to for larger seabirds and waders.