Bluesound Node N130 vs Naim vs Alternatives

@daddycool
We all do things differently …
Wouldn’t life be dull if we all did the same thing.

My observation is of someone working through a bunch of thoughts and figuring things out. Which is a journey of discovery.

You might have picked up my personal philosophy is to take time. Maybe enjoy things along the way. Perhaps that’s what happening ?

Quick story…
Maybe 10 years or so ago, my Naim journey started with a demo’ of a lovely pre-loved NAIT XS2, which I bought to partner a new Rega RP6, at the same time.

It all started with stock RP6 c/w Exact → Fono MM → NAIT XS2 → Epos ES14.

Options upward, were SN2, then separates.
The dealer also demonstrated SN2 and the 202 + 200. I immediately fell in love with the pre + power combination and knew that was what I wanted, when I could afford it.

When the SN3 came along, in 2018, my aspirations shifted sideways. Thought the SN3 almost as good, in just one box. It closed the gap on separates. But adding HCDR brought it to similar level.

The 202 + 200 might be a nice place to be.

Do you like sherbet lemons or liquorice or turkish delight or toffee or chocolate truffles?

KR
R

p.s. How you getting on with your new boxes?

2 Likes

Oh definitely, I did mean it as a good thing! And I see some humour in that it appears several forum members including myself start from a somewhat similar “let’s add a budget streamer” thought, and that process leads to a re-evaluation of the whole system. As if seemingly all of a sudden known paradigms have changed with all the options and offers there are today, and one has to catch up again on what’s there and what makes sense for yourself. The journey and witnessing someone else’s journey (and reading about yours) is enjoyable.

Yes I picked up on that philosophy :slight_smile: and a nice one it is.

I’m doing fine, after basically renewing half of my system (amp and digital source). Also (re)discovering things and stuff, and enjoying that, alone and with my family members.

It is also a good time of year for that.

2 Likes

Isn’t music a truly wonderful thing.
By yourself…
With friends…
With family…

1 Like

@ratrat & @daddycool Very well put in the two posts above. A sweeping change in approach does require quite a lot of catch up time, and i’m starting to get an idea of possibilities within Naim world. But, alas, I still haven’t started to look outside the fold yet, which I intend to do. Blasphemy I know, but…

The new Rega amps with built in DAC look interesting, not to mention their exemplary warranty and customer support. Just add a server / streamer of choice and a simple two box system is ready and waiting.

And then there’s also the modular LINN Selekt DSM, and that idea really intrigues me, as this unit has the potential (on the surface, it seems without digging deeper) to be upgradable in stages, very interesting approach - the LP12 of streamer land…? Imagine a next generation Naim NC streamer that could start at ND5 level and the chassis be gradually updated to an ND555 level. Yes please.

Lots to consider… will keep the thread updated as the options unfold.

2 Likes

:wink:

2 Likes

Just thought I’d give this thread a quick update… After much thought I’ve decided to hold fire looking for a new streamer and amp for the moment. With the input and contributors to this thread (a great big thank you for all the fabulous suggestions) I do have a good starting point and list of gear to test and dem for the New Year. Pausing for a couple of reasons…

First off, my head is spinning somewhat with the possibilities - so many current options in Naim world! A little time over the hols will help clear the mind and focus a clean sheet direction.

I started packing up the work room contents over the weekend - a few record boxes filled, and the big job of boxing up all books and dismantling the shelves, all now in the loft. Listening to music today I could not quite believe how drastically the room acoustics have changed with just the removal of a few shelves and contents - now echoey and stark. Wow, quite an eye (ear) opener. Therefore any realistic comparison of new kit with the current set up would be meaningless in the echoey void.

Also, there is potential for the layout of the room to radically change, so I’d rather work around the new space once complete, just to see how it all fits together with the work room needs to the fore.

And finally, the builder came round today and went through the rather daunting (to us) list, so I think I have enough on my plate to concentrate on for the minute, plus Naim black box shopping will be a lovely project to look forward to when all is done with the rebuild!

3 Likes

Good idea, first have great holidays, then try to survive the construction work, and in the new year we’ll still be here to read your then thoughts and ideas!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

A little bit of a rambling update as to how the Node is fitting into the system - apologies for the indulgence.

Overall result? In a nutshell for those not wanting to wade through the post, very well indeed!

An itch to scratch.… Even though I was somewhat hellbent on buying a NDX2 /Supernait2 or ND5XS2 / NDAC / Supernait2, I’ve always been curious about a full Rega system. For the simple reason that every time heard, those systems always seem to add up to more than the sum of the parts - more so than other ‘one make’ rigs.

While the builders were at work, I put together a modest 1K (came in at £1015) pre-loved system based around Rega and Bluesound, consisting of a Bluesound Node N130, Rega DAC-R, Rega Brio-R and Rega RS3 speakers. The last link in the chain will be some Rega Duet speaker cable (yet to acquire). If it doesn’t work out I can sell on with minimal loss.

Positives…

Bluesound Node N130 - Really like the sensors and presets on the top plate, a lovely feature which I use a lot more than I thought I would. Excellent, intuitive software. BlueOS is functionally top notch - easy to navigate, integrate streaming services and set up playlists, which actually link to the unit and not the control App. It sounds pretty good out of the box, yet there’s potential for enhancement. Used alone, it is perhaps a little forward on certain recordings. The addition of an external DAC improved things significantly. All initial glitches using Wi-Fi have been eradicated with an ethernet cable. May also investigate internal power supply mods if it’s going to be a keeper.

Rega DAC-R - A secondhand bargain, as its a lovely analogue sounding DAC, that definitely enhances the rather forward sound from the Bluesound Node when used as a transport, effectively ‘fleshing’ out the sound. I much prefer this to the more neutral / accurate Topping DAC I also have access to.

Brio-R - Silky smooth compared to my Nait2, but still has that punch and drive to push the music along. Not the last word in detail retrieval, nuance, or speaker control at high volume, but that’s playing at 12 o clock in a tiny 4x4m space. The sound is slightly warmer than neutral and almost valve like in terms of its overall presentation, allowing long term listening without fatigue. It gives a really deep and immersive soundstage (!ooh that’s new!), which eclipsed what the Nait2 (or UnitiQute2) was capable of. And finally, in terms of boogie and engagement, lets just say that Naim do not have the monopoly on Pace Rhythm and Timing. Given the used prices, it’s excellent VFM.

Rega RS3 - very good all rounders that do nothing particularly brilliantly, but more importantly, nothing bad either - a good pragmatic balance. Being front ported they are easy to place, with an attractive form factor, and I like the Rega signature cherry veneer. Being a fan of Rega speakers (I think they are underrated, and have Kytes and Elas too) this was the lowest risk purchase as I had an idea how they’d sound.

A rather nice and unexpected surprise is the low level listening quality this little system seems to excel at. Most systems i’ve had have always needed a bit of volume to come alive, this Rega system sounds balanced at low volume listening levels, and also when right up to 11. Impressive.

I think the units look a little utilitarian, but still aesthetically pleasing - I’ve always liked the Rega red glow, and also the perspex casework. Well made too, if not quite the ‘tank like’ build of some manufacturers.

The Rega remote is simple, light, compact and very responsive.

The biggest revelation is just how big a leap Rega have made with their electronics (amps specifically) since I last heard one of their clamshell units, and I now really want to hear the Aethos, as if the Brio-R is representative, then I want more of that valve influenced / mimicking sound. All with a lifetime warranty too.

Negatives…

The BlueOS software, although functionally excellent, could be a little more minimalist and better designed. ‘Busy’ is the best way to describe it, but it’s a minor criticism. Also, the case is a bit plasticky too, even though it feels well built. And setting up the File Sharing access on an my Mac Mini as a server was a right faff, and took more than one attempt, and some swearing.

For me, the Node ideally needs an external DAC, and sounds best used as a transport only. Would be interesting to try the Node X as this is supposed to have an improved internal ESS Sabre DAC.

The Rega amps do run warm, initially the Brio-R was running scalding hot to the touch, so it did have to go back to Rega Towers (exceptional customer service) for a health check, where the volume trim-bias was fettled. Now just running very warm.

Remote control is a little flimsy compared to Naim’s (superb) remote handsets, but it does the job well.

Rega Brio-R loses control of the RS3s if the volume is pushed very loud.

Definitely not as punchy as my old Nait2, nor quite as entertaining either, but the Nait2 could also be annoying / fatiguing, in this regard and perhaps too much of a good thing.

I miss the Naim app, having all the source selection, adjustments and volume control in one location.

What next?…

Have to admit, I’m not missing my Naim rig that much at all. The UnitiQute2 is now on TV duty in the dinning room, and of course, is still doing sterling service. As this little Rega system is performing so well (and not just for the money), that for a while, I’m not really inspired to explore outside of the bubble.

If the Node is to stay, then I may also commit to a PowerNode N330 to replace the UnitiQute2 in the dining room, as that space is for non critical & TV listening, and would sync beautifully with the Node N130 in my main work room.

The big caveat going froward will be how my RP6 (still in storage) integrates into the system, so i’m looking forward to hearing an all Rega vinyl set up. As the outlay has been minimal in the grand scheme of what I was going to spend, it does open up the possibility of maxing out the vinyl source upstream. An interesting option - source first.

Also, it allows some time to see what Naim launch for their next Supernait (another itch) iteration, and will also allow the finances to recover from the inevitable house building overspend - I’m look at you tiled floor, at well over three times the original predicted budget.

Finally, no, I’m not going to start Naim bashing, as I’ve witnessed some ex Naim-ites often do on other forums, which I find puerile and distasteful, as I still really like and admire Naim kit (new and old). It’s just the quest to find something a little different and to divert off the well trodden path. Onwards.

11 Likes

Nice writeup of your findings, thanks for the time you’ve taken to do this.

I’d like to add that converting the Node to a third party power supply really makes a difference, one well worthwhile. This is using the Node as a complete unit though, I’d be interested to know if the power supply upgrade has the same effect when it has an external dac attached.

And for Linux computer users there’s a port of the BluOS Controller desktop app as an AppImage which works very well, can be found at Fabrice Aeschbacher / bluos-controller-linux · GitLab

Yes, but a dedicated mains is a very good value upgrade as it affects the whole of your system permanently as long as you don’t move home for a relatively small amount of money.

Edit: I’ve just spotted that you’ve got a completely new make of system now so it might or might not be worth doing a dedicated radial with that.

I’m using the Bluesound Hub for that purpose, it does a very good job of digitalizing the analog signal from the line level inputs. The integrated phono stage is rather weak IME, it would be okay if only playing to Bluesound speakers, but if sharing to the node into a full system you are going to want a separate phono preamp.

@carlp Many thanks. Yes, It is a nice system, but doesn’t have that ultimate (addictive) propulsive drive that a Naim system has, which is unique. Perhaps not quite as much fun and initially impressive as a Naim set up, but on the plus side, it is much more forgiving and in some ways more pleasing and engaging long term, as it allows extended listening times at moderate to higher volumes without fatigue. As I listen all day in my work rom that is a definite plus point.

The Node continues to please. My only reservation about adding an external power supply to the Node would be the clunky case they all seem to come in - wish Bluesound would come up with something like Innuos have with their Zen Mini power supply in a matching case.

@JimDog I think a full dedicated mains system is a bit overkill for the level I’m at with my set up, maybe at a full fat 500 system, where there are no compromises, sure, I’d probably take the plunge, but a 500 system is never going to happen. From what I’ve read Rega kit is less sensitive anyways.

@llatpoh76 I’m aware of the Bluesound Hub, but don’t feel it’s necessary as my Rega P6 will just plug into the Brio-R and I’m not worried about streaming that input to different locations really.

My wife was listening to it the other day while doing the family accounts, and her comments were. “That new set up is more of a faff to use as there’s now a separate remote and App, but it sounds so much nicer to listen to”. Personally, I think that speaks volumes.

RP6 liberated from storage over the weekend in a temporary set up. It’s almost like a Rega turntable, amp and speakers were made to work together - who’d a thunk. An early pressing of the B-52’s sounding pretty good on first listen.

1 Like

An early UK press of the B-52’s is a pretty awesome sounding record, full stop.

1 Like

I’ve got a UK first press of that first album, bought on the day it came out, and it sounds friggin’ awesome.

1 Like

Indeed, this is the 1980 pressing with the fully laminated front and back outer sleeve. The record has the original style yellow labels as opposed to Island label on later issues, and it came in black card liner rather than the first issue yellow card liner with lyrics. This copy looked unplayed when I found it at the record fair at Cranage. Can’t believe no-one had snapped it up. It plays like new too, so quite pleased for £20 outlay.

Also have the 2015 Music On Vinyl issue as well, but can’t compare as that’s in storage with most of the collection.

I’m sill on the look out for a minty first pressing with the yellow inner, but everyone i’ve seen at fairs / dealers etc have been in rather poor shape.

That’s the one I have, and it’s the one to get – blows the overpriced MoFi out of the water!

1 Like

Ah that’s interesting. I have the first pressing of Cosmic Thing, which sounds great, and bought the MoFi version just out of curiosity - it is pants.

I do hope to find a minty version of the debut, but it looks like it might be a challenge as so many seem to be trashed.

1 Like

I used to regularly stop by the Hospice charity shop in the local town, usually to donate stuff, but I could never resist taking a quick look at the vinyl. One day I spied about 10 LPs stood outside the door that appeared to be either unused or were still in their sealed shrink-wrap. There were a few Talking Heads, and a bunch of Islands (Grace Jones mostly) , of which one was what was almost certainly an unplayed very early copy of the first B-52’s. I had to buy them all, of course. I already copies of most of them, including the B-52’s, albeit a slightly later pressing. When I got home and put on this one from the charity shop, I could not believe my ears - it blew my existing copy into the weeds!

1 Like