Bluesound Node N130 vs Naim vs Alternatives

Nice writeup of your findings, thanks for the time you’ve taken to do this.

I’d like to add that converting the Node to a third party power supply really makes a difference, one well worthwhile. This is using the Node as a complete unit though, I’d be interested to know if the power supply upgrade has the same effect when it has an external dac attached.

And for Linux computer users there’s a port of the BluOS Controller desktop app as an AppImage which works very well, can be found at Fabrice Aeschbacher / bluos-controller-linux · GitLab

Yes, but a dedicated mains is a very good value upgrade as it affects the whole of your system permanently as long as you don’t move home for a relatively small amount of money.

Edit: I’ve just spotted that you’ve got a completely new make of system now so it might or might not be worth doing a dedicated radial with that.

I’m using the Bluesound Hub for that purpose, it does a very good job of digitalizing the analog signal from the line level inputs. The integrated phono stage is rather weak IME, it would be okay if only playing to Bluesound speakers, but if sharing to the node into a full system you are going to want a separate phono preamp.

@carlp Many thanks. Yes, It is a nice system, but doesn’t have that ultimate (addictive) propulsive drive that a Naim system has, which is unique. Perhaps not quite as much fun and initially impressive as a Naim set up, but on the plus side, it is much more forgiving and in some ways more pleasing and engaging long term, as it allows extended listening times at moderate to higher volumes without fatigue. As I listen all day in my work rom that is a definite plus point.

The Node continues to please. My only reservation about adding an external power supply to the Node would be the clunky case they all seem to come in - wish Bluesound would come up with something like Innuos have with their Zen Mini power supply in a matching case.

@JimDog I think a full dedicated mains system is a bit overkill for the level I’m at with my set up, maybe at a full fat 500 system, where there are no compromises, sure, I’d probably take the plunge, but a 500 system is never going to happen. From what I’ve read Rega kit is less sensitive anyways.

@llatpoh76 I’m aware of the Bluesound Hub, but don’t feel it’s necessary as my Rega P6 will just plug into the Brio-R and I’m not worried about streaming that input to different locations really.

My wife was listening to it the other day while doing the family accounts, and her comments were. “That new set up is more of a faff to use as there’s now a separate remote and App, but it sounds so much nicer to listen to”. Personally, I think that speaks volumes.

RP6 liberated from storage over the weekend in a temporary set up. It’s almost like a Rega turntable, amp and speakers were made to work together - who’d a thunk. An early pressing of the B-52’s sounding pretty good on first listen.

2 Likes

An early UK press of the B-52’s is a pretty awesome sounding record, full stop.

1 Like

I’ve got a UK first press of that first album, bought on the day it came out, and it sounds friggin’ awesome.

1 Like

Indeed, this is the 1980 pressing with the fully laminated front and back outer sleeve. The record has the original style yellow labels as opposed to Island label on later issues, and it came in black card liner rather than the first issue yellow card liner with lyrics. This copy looked unplayed when I found it at the record fair at Cranage. Can’t believe no-one had snapped it up. It plays like new too, so quite pleased for £20 outlay.

Also have the 2015 Music On Vinyl issue as well, but can’t compare as that’s in storage with most of the collection.

I’m sill on the look out for a minty first pressing with the yellow inner, but everyone i’ve seen at fairs / dealers etc have been in rather poor shape.

1 Like

That’s the one I have, and it’s the one to get – blows the overpriced MoFi out of the water!

1 Like

Ah that’s interesting. I have the first pressing of Cosmic Thing, which sounds great, and bought the MoFi version just out of curiosity - it is pants.

I do hope to find a minty version of the debut, but it looks like it might be a challenge as so many seem to be trashed.

1 Like

I used to regularly stop by the Hospice charity shop in the local town, usually to donate stuff, but I could never resist taking a quick look at the vinyl. One day I spied about 10 LPs stood outside the door that appeared to be either unused or were still in their sealed shrink-wrap. There were a few Talking Heads, and a bunch of Islands (Grace Jones mostly) , of which one was what was almost certainly an unplayed very early copy of the first B-52’s. I had to buy them all, of course. I already copies of most of them, including the B-52’s, albeit a slightly later pressing. When I got home and put on this one from the charity shop, I could not believe my ears - it blew my existing copy into the weeds!

1 Like

Blimey - that was a nice find, just for the Talking Heads and Grace Jones alone, never mind the B-52’s!

2 Likes

Yes, the sealed in shrink 1st issue of Warm Leatherette was rather nice too…

1 Like