Bluesound Node

Evening peeps

Today I changed my veritable Chromecast audio for a lovely new Bluesound node gen 3.
I know this has been around for a while but WOW, what a difference! Yet another veil between listener and music has come down!

My question is this. Is there a tangible sq difference in a decent ethernet cable and the rather tardy cheapo job that came with the Bluesound?

Many thanks

Clive

Short answer some will say yes, some will say no. This thread could soon degenerate into one needing popcorn.

Personally, I would try a lower end of the mid-priced cables, and decide if you can hear the difference. If you can, maybe consider spending more, if you can’t don’t bother.

2 Likes

Oh good…I love popcorn!

Thats very sensible advice though. Wondered if anyone on here has gone down those lines already?

Clive

Are you using the Nodes own DAC or running it through your Audiolab DAC?

1 Like

Got a node myself. But i use wifi to feed it. No ethernet discussion required!

2 Likes

…just using the Bluesounds dac at the mo, may try running it through the Audiolab.

Clive

1 Like

In my opinion, I would look at an upgrade to the supplied Fig8 mains cable (It is dire.) rather than the ethernet cable.

1 Like

Thanks Neil

Is that an upgradable item? Surely that doesn’t have much impact on the box itself? More the onboard ps?

Clive

The short answer is that the Node responds very well to many of the tweaks you read about on here. I’m still waiting to hear something substantially better. When I started dabbling into streaming I just wanted to test the waters to see what was what. My reference is my trusty CDP555. Initially I fed the Node with an IPad feed via the USB. Good but not as good as the CD player. My dealer suggested a Node , which I duly purchased. Better but still not as good as the CD.

Then I started on doing a couple of tweaks. First was to get an old Naim power lead, cut off the kettle plug and replace with a good quality Fig of 8 plug. Then I invested in a few metres of BJC ethernet cable to hard wire everything to my incoming PTP and router device. Next was a Chord EE 8 switch and a Belden Catsnake patch to my Ndac. Things were now getting interesting and some hires Qobuz albums were giving the CD player a good run for its money. Then, last week, my dealer put me onto a neat little device (costs £24) that I think finally pushed streaming ahead of the CD player.

The final test was to compare my new Core with ripped files through my Ndac with 555DR power supply to the streaming SQ. So far it’s a 50/50 split, some stuff I prefer on the Core and some through the Node but it does show how far streaming has come in a very short time.

The fact that I’m now ripping my CD’s to a Core shows you how far I’m prepared to go!

Good luck with your journey.

1 Like

A Sky Q box responded well to an Ecosse Orange figure of 8 power cable, so there’s something in it.

If you are in the UK, get a Belden Catsnake Cat6 ethernet cable from an online shop called ‘DesignACable’. Excellent value for money.

2 Likes

And the £24 device was…

Excellent and perfectly functional network cable. We run it from switch to NDX2 and also to Sky Q.

I tried one of those and it was really weird, with everything sounding all over the place. I’ve been very happy with Blue Jeans Cat 6A.

Check out a DeLOCK 62619 on the big river. It needs to go just before your switch. I found it sounds better one way round than the other, so directional. My dealer mentioned that it offers some additional insulation but I was surprised just how good it was. A mate, who is a complete ‘non believer’, bought one a couple of days ago and hasn’t stopped raving about it!

Same here. Works well over WiFi for me

1 Like

Thanks for all the really helpful contributions…Ive ordered a new ethernet cable (75cm) as suggested. May look into the filter at somep point…guess that means buying another length of ethernet cable though.

After an hour or two listening to the Bluesound node I was really impressed with the improvement in sq over the Chromecast audio. Great purchase.

Many thanks

Clive

1 Like

Honestly I found Node able to connect perfectly over wi fi

1 Like

do you put it just before the streamer ? would it make sense to put one after the NAS and before the modem?

Hi, I think you will have to experiment. My dealer told me to get it as close to the switch as possible. Which I have.

You can see from the photo how I’ve got it positioned- although this is just temporary and I’ll tidy it up after I’ve finished playing around.

It’s definitely a keeper. If only all tweaks were this cheap!

1 Like