Bob Dylan tour

Bob Dylan tickets go on sale for his UK tour on July 19th, not sure if the European dates will be available then. Some may be interested in attending?

I saw him the last time he came to the UK and played at Hyde Park. One of the most disappointing concerts I have ever been to. All songs reworked so that they were virtually unrecognisable and zero interaction with audience. That is his prerogative of course but I think I’ll save my money this time

5 Likes

Oh you should have been at the Brixton Academy around mid-2000’s that I bet was more disappointing than your disappointment.

5 Likes

I’m sure this guy is in charge of storing all the mobile phones at his latest gigs. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

IMG_2634

Zero interaction and incomprehensible approaches for years to be fair. If you go to see Dylan you’ll be happy. If you go to see a great gig then it’s lap of the gods stuff. Strongly suspect this will be the last go round though so that will hold an attraction for many.

My fave remains a few years back at the MEN when we realised he sang the entire set to the intonation of Lay Lady Lay. Thought we were imagining it at first but absolutely not. It became both hilarious and compelling. Try singing any of Mr. Tambourine Man to the intonation of LDL and you’ll see the challenge :slight_smile:

1 Like

He was wonderful at The Palladium on the Rough and Rowdy ways tour a couple of years ago, pretty much the whole album and nothing overly reworked. Personally I wouldn’t go to see him at a stadium sized venue now, The Palladium felt quite intimate. Jimmy Page was there grinning from ear to ear.

Given his return to form maybe but will check out Europe first given the usual outlandish UK prices.

Last time was 2017 at the Amsterdam arena - the saving on decent seats at say Bournemouth Conference Centre paid for a 10 day Dutch rail trip. Twas the end of his crooner American Songbook phase so mostly OK. Fab tight backing band.

Will never be like Blackbushe 1978 tho - a greatest hits up to Desire set played kinda straightish, top hat and all.

3 Likes

Forgive my curiosity but I have seen an old post by you about first ever concert you saw (Little Richard October 1962 Kingston). Well I am looking to find old rock fan who attend in those years shows played by FREE (English rock band internationally famous for their hit “All Right Now” of 1970) who were active in England between April 1968 and October 1972. Perhaps you or anyone you know attend some FREE gig in those years ? Thanks for your memories

Seen him a few times now but none as good as in 1984 at St. James Park, Newcastle.
Lindisfarne and Santana supported.

I was there too. As you say very disappointing. One of the few shows I’ve walked out on before it ended.

1 Like

At the end was the only time Bob looked at the audience. Him and the band together standing like it was some sort of Board Meeting Report and Accounts photo.

RAH, May 27th 1966 approx 8.30pm the epicentre of “Rock’nRoll”

Yes would’ve been there, but being only 5……,:joy:

I don’t wish to derail the thread, but yes I did see Free it was at Fairfield Halls Croydon and I think it was Sept 13 1970 with Amazing Blondel opening, they played two shows that day I believe we went to the earlier one at 6pm or so. I wasn’t really a fan but went with a friend who was, we had very good seats right in from of the stage.

My wife saw them several times including a “secret” gig at The Greyhound in Fulham Palace Road, and then at The Lyceum in London on the same tour as above.

As I say I wasn’t a big fan but it was good show particularly Paul K’s guitar, that’s about all that I remember!

Lightweight!!

1 Like

I saw him at Wembley arena a good few years back - it was very disappointing….
Such a genius that I’ll enjoy via his albums and not live performances.

Gary

Not sure if I’d bother I’ve only ever heard negative things about Dylan’s performances. I’ll stick to his albums where I know I won’t be disappointed.

3 Likes

Phoenix Festival 1995,Dylan was the big draw,I and hundreds of others left the main stage after just a couple of songs.He was absolutely dreadful,jazzed up the music to the point of sounding like a Jools Holland tribute act. Totally agree that sticking to his recorded efforts,especially recently,is the way to go.

Nothing ruins an image of an artist than a bad show, I didn’t go to see what ended up Bowies last gig here because of the Glass Spider Tour which was very disappointing imo. Shame cause all he’s other shows were spectacular.

You see I saw the Glass Spider tour and thought it was brilliant and so it seemed did the tens of thousands in the audience. Bowie was on top form with both Peter Frampton and Carlos Alomar on guitars.

And I’d seen Bowie in 1976 and 1984.

Pete it’s your opinion but I think it’s another Bowie myth like Tim Machibe is rubbish.

1 Like