Bookshelf speaker upgrade for Atom

Hi all,

I am considering upgrading from my Dynaudio Emit 10 speakers, connected to my Uniti Atom.

Overall very fond of the Emit 10s, particularly for the price, but am curious as to what the next step might offer.

I’m a bit of a snob for aesthetics, so love the clean lines of the Dynaudio Evoke 10s, and Buchardt S400s. Both are apparently quite hard to drive though, particularly the s400s.

Curious to know if anyone is running either of those with the Atom, and how well they pair.

They are used in a small study, so don’t want to go much larger, particularly not floor standers. From a scale point of view (physically and sonically) the Emit 10s are great in this room.

When I had my Atom I paired it with a pair of Proac Tablette 10’s and it was a lovely pairing, particularly good in a small room

2 Likes

The very first time I heard an Atom was with Emit M20s and the sound that little system was making was one of the best in the show, in spite of being just about the cheapest. So I wouldn’t be in any hurry to change.

FWIW, I use the Atom in my office with Neat Iotas. It’s a great combination, but speaker choice was largely dictated by needing units I could fix to the wall behind my desk. You might want to try the floor standing, but knee high Neat Iota Alphas.

Roger

1 Like

@PeakMan Was that at the Acoustica show in Chester by any chance? I remember a room at that show with the Emit20 & Atom, and it was a tremendous system, certainly adding up to more than sum of its parts.

@tyce I’d definitely be looking at the Evoke if you are sold on the Dynaudio sound and aesthetic, plus the Emit range has just been updated from the ground up and looks rather swish - could be worth comparing to your existing Emits? Just a thought.

Also, ponders… would the Special 40 be a step too far into mullet waters I wonder? It might be worth experimenting with the Atom at a helpful dealers to compare the (new) Emit, Evoke and Special Forty.

2 Likes

Thanks for the comments. Yes, I would love to be able to set that demo up, but haven’t had much luck finding midlands based stockists of Dynaudio. My local shop (Leamington spa) carries the emit range, but not the higher end models.

Don’t think I can justify to price hike to the special 40s unfortunately!

Perfectly understood re dealers stock (always tricky), and of course the extra cost of the Special Forty too - they do look swish though!

3 Likes

It was indeed the Acoustica show.

Roger

As wonderful Special 40 are, they are not ideal match for the little Atom, think SN or Nova and better yet, separates.

1 Like

The neat iota alpha’s defy logic, such a big sound from a small speaker, works well with qute and atom in my experience.

1 Like

The Guru Juniors worked very well with the Atom when I had one. Bass is fantastic and they are easy to drive. But at £1600 there are lots of other options. Only your room will let you know what works.

1 Like

Love my Special 40’s but think they can use a bit more power than the Atom …

3 Likes

If you like their looks then I would try Kef LS50 Metas if you can get them on demo. Bass, mids and soundstage sounded amazing with my Nova but were harsh in the treble with female vocals. However, I’m pretty sure that was a problem with my room as others have not reported the same problem. Dynaudio Evoke 10s were very good too.

2 Likes

Thanks all!

Have heard a lot of good things about the Iotas and the tablette 10s. The ls50 metas seem to get amazing reviews too. I quite like the looks, but have concerns about their resilience to young children’s curious fingers, given the lack of grilles. Suspect it would be only a matter of time before something bad happened.

Intrigued by the guru juniors. They are new to me. Quite like the scandi design simplicity. Will try to find a demo for them, the iotas and the tablettes.

Nice set up!

+1 for Tablette 10 Signatures.

1 Like

Guru offer a 30 day return as their dealer network is limited.

1 Like

I’ve read some very positive reviews about the Amphion Argon 1 too. Quite fond of the looks, and apparently easier to drive than the Dynaudio Evoke 10.

1 Like

I’d be looking at the Kef LS50 Meta, great little speakers with a big sound.

1 Like

Very fond of the looks of some of the Amphion range - and they have a pro background like some of the better UK manufacturers like ATC, PMC and Harbeth

1 Like

Must admit to having a drool …

I can see the black wood on white stands …

2 Likes