Bored so I've ordered a Townshend Audio Allegri+ Pre Amp

Agree- 100%

It’s here!!!

The flight case is what it comes in.

Now plumbed in and playing…

Far too early to have an opinion… I need to sit and have a proper listen.
At the moment I’m resting from the trauma of playing round the back of the rack with interconnects and adapters. After a good rummage around the back I think it a plus when it still works and left is left and right is right! :wink:

3 Likes

Really looking forward to your opinion. I use an Allegri and am considering ways forwards.

2 Likes

Everything I expected really… improved clarity and detail at lower volume levels. Typically I used to play at -30dB volume which, as previously pointed out, puts me into the ‘digital volume issues’ area. Now I can leave the Bartok at 0dB and fully experience the Bartok at it’s best. I’ve also dropped the output level of the Bartok from 6V to 2V and there’s still plenty of scope on the Allegri volume knob if I want to reach ‘too loud’ volume levels on the Allegri. I assume that’s because the Sonifex RCA/XLR adapters are transformer balanced, with a 1:2 ratio, so 6dB of gain is added to the input.

Still more listening tests to be done but, so far, there are no negatives and, on the positive, better clarity at sensible volume levels.

3 Likes

A couple more albums in and my impressions are getting more positive. Definite improvements in transparency and there’s more of a kick in the bass. I wasn’t sure about the bass thing at first; I thought I must have been imagining things. But I heard the same effect on another album, it’s like a tightening of the lower bass.

Agnes is sounding astounding…

Worth the money? 100%… the best bang-for-your-buck I’ve ever spent.

2 Likes

I am VERY impressed by my Allegri. I had listened to a number of passive pre-amps and while not being offensive they certainly didn’t inspire. The Allegri and my EAR868pl both do things I enjoy through my 300DR, but it is the Allegri I listen to most of the time.

M

3 Likes

I’m not sure all passives are neutral. Otherwise they would all sound the same. I have a Music First Classic Passive pre-amp and love the sound.
I thought about getting a Naim power amp but realised that I would need to change my pre-amp as well as it is XLR only. Everybody here recommended getting a Naim pre-amp to match any Naim power amp too. Ended up upgrading my Cyrus power amps instead!

I was under the impression that the MF preamps have both balanced and unbalanced outputs, so connecting to pretty much any power amp would work.

Mine is not a standard item. It has Mk II wiring and a single XLR input. You are right about the standard ones.

OK, I guess they could have changed that for you, but maybe not worth taking a chance on it.

Yes it was more expense especially if I eventually decided I need a Naim pre-amp as many recommended here.

This is an intriguing thread.

I had a few queries for those who have experience of the Allegri.

How have you found it with a turntable source? (In my case an LP12 with Urika 1)

I know Townshend make recommended RCA/XLR cables to connect with a Naim amp (in my case a 300DR). How do these sound and does anyone have experience of alternatives?

Any suggestions for an RCA/RCA interconnect for a CD player?

I use my Allegri with a Tron 7 reference phono stage and like it a lot. Townshend do fractal RCA interconnects using the same wire as used in the Allegri

Dozey,
I would love to hear a vinyl front end as special as yours one day. The combination of NAS Dias and a Tron 7 reference must be quite something.

Best regards, BF

Thanks. And I guess you use the Townshend interconnect.

Yes, but I haven’t tried a lot of alternatives. Just Mark Grant and Mana Stealth.

Give Townshend a call, they’re a helpful bunch and will probably make up some Fractal interconnects for you to demo if you ask nicely.

Townshend offered me a stonking deal on two sets of F1 RCA interconnects (one for to the Allegri and one for from the Allegri). I was using Tellurium Q Ultra Black before hand and selling the Tellurium cables on ebay virtually paid for the F1 cables so it was a bit of a no-brainer. My streamer is XLR out so I needed some what to convert XLR to RCA. From advise here I went for the Sonifex adapter and the combination is excellent.

Thanks all for the advice - I’ll get in touch with Townshend.

Thanks! I find it very good. Better than my NDS with a nice pressing. I like the lp artwork as well of course.
Got there bit by bit - via a Spacedeck and an EAR 834. Finding a secondhand Tron 7 made it possible.
I guess it is my end game vinyl front end, unless I ever can afford a Techdas Airforce…

1 Like