Bought an 82 - now other questions

Practice makes perfect with the SBL’s!

1 Like

DBL´s are very heavy, but otherwise they are not so hard to set up.

3 Likes

What is weight of DBL? @Igel

I will show a picture to my wife and say what do you think of these and see if I have to run for cover or not🤣

1 Like

Beautiful!

1 Like

Shipping weight is about 125 kg each.

1 Like

Gents, I was wondering if any of you has compared or had the opportunity to own more than one iteration of hicap or even a scap with the 82? While now I am waiting for my newly purchased 82 to arrive, my initial plan is to power it with my SN2, I expect it to be an upgrade over the SN2’s built in preamp and then on a later stage I am going to decide whether to go for a HC or a SC, but which one will be my dilemma I suppose. It was designed to partner with the olive HC and SC, but will there be any improvement with any other version?

I have run my 82 with Hicap olive, Hicap classic, Hicap DR, Supercap classic, Supercap DR. I could hear no difference between olive and classic. The Hicap DR shows a marked improvement. The Supercap classic is about similar to the Hicap DR, the Supecap DR is marginally the best of all.
I run my 82 in to a 250DR and out to Spendor A5’s in a small room ( 3mx3mx 2.8m). I have settled on the Hicap DR, 82, 250DR. I think the use of a Supercap is superfluous unless you are running your 82 in to a high end amp and speakers in a large room. Just my experience though.

3 Likes

I prefer Olive SC. If HC go for CB or early Olive with Holden & Fisher .I don´t think that DR works well with Nac82,too lean sound.

5 Likes

I have rung the changes with my 82, using (all olive) 1 x HC, 2 x HC, SC & FC (the latter just for the LOLs), into active SBLs (NAXO+HC and SNAXO+HC or SC, followed by a brace of 250s).

wrt the 82; I thought that:

1. 1 x HC was better than FC.
  2. 2 x HC gave a significant upgrade over 1 x HC
  3. SC was marginally better than 2 x HC.

As ever, other opinions are available, and of course YMMV.

7 Likes

To be fair, what you have found is as would be expected (and reflects the relative prices of the units involved). I sometimes think that the Supercap doesn’t always get the acclaim that it deserves.

I don’t agree that the use of the Supercap is superfluous, particularly as having it in the system means that the user can switch in an NAC52 for the NAC82 later, if funds allow.

1 Like

My experience is virtually identical to @suzywong although I don’t have the active sbls…only the non active ones….
However I do have the 82 running on more than the 4 rails now….and it’s lovely.

2 Likes

Yes, please be advised we don’t discuss mods on the forum. Many of us including myself have been told off, had posts edited or further being told you will be removed from the forum. I hope this is clear.

1 Like

I didn’t expect it to be otherwise. My point was that I found a significant improvement increasing the number of secondary supply rails from 2 to 4 (I.e 2 x HC), but only a marginal difference when I replaced my two HC with an SC (no additional secondary rails). Therefore to my mind the “sweet spot” in terms of bang-for-buck is 2 x HC. However, other opinions are available.

At no time have I suggested that an SC on an 82 is “superfluous” - as in fact, that is my current setup.

2 Likes

I think he means me.

You’re probably right.

I don’t waste time conversing with people who can’t be bothered to read who is posting on the site.

You forgot the '‘IMO’…:wink:

1 Like

Excuse me, now corrected :wink:

Similar system to my own @c2photo :+1:

1 Like

:+1: