Bought an 82 - now other questions

That is BS in MO, it just needs care to set up, nothing more

Just added this to my SN2, it’s been running for a couple of hours now. Even without a HC it’s very impressive so far, and it is still arctic cold out the box. I was wondering for a long time what my next upgrade would be, It was either a nDac to replace my DAC V1 or an 82. I spotted a recently serviced 82 online and I purchased it right away.

Early impressions are more effortless sound, more immediacy, increased dynamics, not very detailed, at least not more than the bare SN2, maybe a tad more realism and definitely more “dramatic”, if that makes sense. I am listening mostly on very low levels, 55 - 60 db and I noticed I have turned it down even lower now, with no detail loss.

The only downside is the volume control, it is not that precise as the one in the SN2, the knob rotates more than it should with a single button touch on the remote, if I turn it manually it responds well, but other than that very impressive. It looks gorgeous and that build quality has proven that after so many years it still looks in a very good condition, I do not even mind the minor scratches here and there :slight_smile:

4 Likes

If the volume works the same as the 52 then it should move slowly for the first press then speed up the longer the button is held. If it’s not doing that it probably needs looking at. I maybe wrong though. Someone will be along to confirm or not.

1 Like

You can adjust the speed of the volume motor with a trim pot inside the Nac 82.

I’ve never had a problem with increasing/decreasing the volume on my NAC52.

(I have had endless problems with the Flash RC, though. A lovely piece of design, that just doesn’t work - in my case, at least.)

Yeah, my 82 volume is like that. starts slow , then accelerates like Lewis Hamilton! Coupled with the famed “JV approach” to loudness (akin to “going up to 11” :grin") it can get loud very quickly.

The speed control trimpot sounds interesting.

1 Like

Yes it’s easy to change the speed.

Eventually you get used to subtle adjustments. I can make very small tweaks with my remote.

Mine naturally sits at 7 o’clock when volume is NIL and for DIN inputs like the CD I usually run it from 8 o’clock to (rarely) 9 o’clock and for phono level perhaps up to 10/10.30.

I get more detail around the 8.00 mark - or at least can hear it better.

Obviously subsequent amplification is different but I’m successfully making small remote adjustments in that narrow band, is what I’m trying to say. After years of practice!

1 Like

Thanks all, it is actually moving slow, but the jump from one level to another is bigger than the one on the SN2 and considering the low level listening I am used to, it feels a big jump. Maybe I am used to the SN2 too much, but if they are different pots, it might be something normal.

I am not sure it is up to the speed (although I might be wrong), as I am performing a very quick button press, so if the speed is changed not sure this will impact the levels it rotates with one touch.

I have changed speed on several Nac 82’s and I think that it’s easier to adjust the volume with accuracy when it’s done.

1 Like

Talk of modifying Naim kit is a breach of forum rules guys…

It’s not a modification, but let your Naim dealer adjust the trim pot in the Nac 82.

2 Likes

Thanks for that, I think that I’ll start by adding another HC.

1 Like

Just received my Olive HC, recently serviced in 2022, and is currently warming up for a couple of hours to equalise its temperature with the room, in the meantime I was wondering how the SN2 needs to be connected to the HC.

Until now the SN2 was powering the 82, hence a snaic4 was connected to power amp in socket of the SN2, does it remain connected to this very same socket, just the other end of the lead is connected to socket 3 of the HC instead of the 82? No changes in AV bypass mode or any other change in the current setup? Is my understanding correct? This socket carries power, so I am a bit worried how this affects the hicap, a bit strange to carry power to a power supply unit.

HC to 82 connection is clear, just the connection between HC and SN2 is a bit unclear to me.

The signal is taken off any of the 4 pin DIN outputs on the HiCap - to an input on the SN2. Sorry, I am not familiar with the SN.

Socket 4 will connect to the 82 via the SNAIC5. Socket 3 would normally connect to the power amp in socket on the SN2 via a SNAIC4. Depending on the vintage of your Hicap, Socket 3 may have a single rail 24v supply on it (marked +ve on socket 3 in the picture below). If unsure, use Socket 2 instead as there is no 24v rail (shown as nc - same as socket 1) on it.

Naim-Audio-Hi-Cap-Olive-525-B

2 Likes

Thanks James, always helpful responses, appreciate. Mine is different than the one on your picture. Now even more confused :slight_smile:

That’s a useful pic of your unit. Early Olive Hicaps could have socket 3 with a single 24v rail on it as in the pic i posted.

Your Hicap looks to be a later model, so it’s OK to use Socket 3 to connect to the SN2 Power Amp in socket :+1:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.