Brendan Croker RIP.

Surprised this hasn’t come up really. The lovely Brendan Croker passed away aged 70 from leukaemia. I only became aware of this because of an equally lovely obituary in the Guardian yesterday.

During my time as a student in Leeds he was never fashionable and to some degree ridiculed by fellow students as he ploughed a largely unfashionable furrow of folk, country and rock. He was always there gigging in the background when bigger acts were in town and in many ways he was a man with terrible timing. A few years either way and he could have ridden the crest of things like Americana. I suspect his persona and songwriting were just a little too minor key for the big time but he was a decent singer, songwriter and performer. I was never a fan but it was gratifying to see Knopfler pick him up during his Notting Hillbillies/McCartney solo period.

Used to see him around Leeds in the record shops I frequented and some of the gigs I was at too. No side or edge to him and he was also lovely to listen to when talking about those artists he loved.

8 Likes

Saw him with Hillbillies in 1990. Great evening.

4 Likes

Mike, thank you for raising this. I hadn’t seen the report and I am a fan of his and his Five O’clock Shadows. He will be much missed in our house. RIP Brendan and thank you for all the music.

3 Likes

We appear to be small in number.

But clearly cultured and having of a fine taste.

1 Like

I knew of him through his playing on Tanita Tikaram’s evergreen debut album Ancient Heart:

The liner notes had an unusual advert for him and his band:

Also, my first serious girlfriend was a real folkie and loved her Brendan Croker tape!

Mark

(By the way, does anyone recognise the landscape the Ancient Heart photos were taken in?)

3 Likes

Rosedale Chimney Bank

3 Likes

Wow, on the North York Moors? That’s only half an hour from where I grew up and where my Dad and sister still live! Never recognised it - thank you!

Mark

2 Likes

This is apparently one of the steepest roads in England and rightly feared by many a cyclist.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.