Bristol Show 2019

Can remember using Duraglit on mains pins in the 80’s - placebo or not I thought it did something, at least the pins sparkled :slight_smile:

Did anyone rate Kontak cleaner - I think I still have some somewhere.

Well Chord are calling their new speaker plugs etc ohmic and are silver plated, so will tarnish with sulphur. Presume it’s a silver cleaner, hence the question to Chris…it would make sense, periodically.

Brasso? what was the silver polish called? Don’t think we had much silver when I was a lad…

Silvo!

1 Like

Just trying it out at the moment.

There are two liquids. The first is a cleaner (the “Brasso” bit but more of a cream and apparently water-soluble), the second is the treatment, again water soluble. I’d imagine the cleaner on it’s own would be worthwhile, given how much Brasso cleaned things up when used on dull plug pins. Wasn’t kontak a silicone-based fluid?

1 Like

Oh please, could somebody with a Naim backround listen to AudioNote’s new Meishu 300B? Thanks!!

Just to clarify, the Chord Electronics product upscales CD quality recordings before sending to a compatible DAC, nothing to do with a cleaner! It’s on their website.

Sorry it was Dave with his cleaner not yourself Chris…sorry

1 Like

chord hugo tt/ mscaler combo review on audiophile style site.

Well… a bit fiddly but, f***! My system was sounding great this morning, but apparently not according to how it’s sounding now. This is weird.

Dave, what a can a can of worms you have just opened😉

1 Like

I listened to the AudioNote Meishu (8 watts) and I was very impressed. Most un-tube like, which was a real eye (ear) opener.

1 Like

Thanks Nigel! I read so many things about AN but never heard that brand…some are fanatic about it😏

Yes, unusually for AudioNote they were playing some pretty hardcore electronica when I walked in and it fair blew my socks off.

Front end was an AN CD transport and separate DAC, both about £3.5k. The Meishu amp is about £6.6k from memory and the speakers were about £4.5k, so not an expensive system in AN terms.

I think they played the electronica to debunk the idea that tubes are all soft and mellifluous. Not a bit of it. This system has got some serious stones and all from 8 watts per channel (but very efficient speakers of course).

After that they switched to the AN turntable a bit pricier - £6k or £7k. Pretty impressive too but the music toned down a little and you got the lovely liquid, mellifluous sound signature of tubes (and vinyl) coming through.

But feed this system with ‘seat of your pants’ stuff and that is exactly what you get - in spades!

Very, very impressive - and surprising too.

1 Like

Went along today. Got terribly sidetracked so only visited half a dozen rooms. Skipped Naim as I’ve heard the stuff on demo in better surroundings than a hotel could offer.

Harbeth with a Marantz CDP and Hegel amp sounded great. First ever listen to Fyne speakers beautiful finish pity the Rega CDP in their room was malfunctioning. Complete system of Avid components sounded nice and interesting designs. Exposure with active xovers with Kudos 606 sounded very nice if a little lacking in dynamics but understand still work in progress. Well done Exposure for bringing a new CDP to the market. I’ve eulogised before about the Kudos 505s and today they sounded great as well although when David pushed the little one box Linn system on Planet of New Orleans things became a little strained. But here’s the rub. At the Signals show last autumn I was on record as saying that the Dynaudio/Naim configuration was truly awful. Today it was my first session and really excellent! But my room of the day went to Rega. I don’t know what components I was listening to -RP8 I think - but just excellent, musical, timing superb, resolution, rich. Right speakers in right room etc, superb.

Great to see the Polarbear and Karen, JonR, Chris Kelly and our Moderator in Chief, I missed NigelB and must put that right soon.

Regards,

Lindsay

I want to the main Naim demo today. Some interesting music played, some of which I was actually familiar with so I had some benchmarks as far as material went. A wonderful blast from the past with Level 42 and Dune Tune - belter!

Yes, of course the NDX 2 was better than the ND5 XS 2 and the ND555 was better than the NDX 2 - surprise, surprise! But what really impressed me was the improvement the addition of the 555PS made when added to the NDX 2. That significantly raised the performance of the mid streamer. I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised because I have witnessed first hand what moving from a bare NDX to the addition of a 555PS did in my living room.

The demo was promoted to include ‘tips on streaming’ but alas there were none. I can understand why because it took the hour to get through the demo with no questions, and the previous demo to mine over-ran.

Good session though and I thought the Sopra 3s did a great job.

3 Likes

No problem Lindsay, we will catch up with each other some time.

For me the best room with Titan 505s (in white) as the speaker was the AudioQuest room. It was actually next door (but one) to the official Kudos room at the very end of 2nd Floor. They were supposedly demoing AudioQuest power leads and AQ distribution box but were just playing great music when I went in.

Hidden away was a tasty looking YBA integrated amp fed by Stack Audio Link USB streamer (£695) with a tiny AuduioQuest Dragonfly DAC (£200?) stuck on the back, all fed from a laptop. This modest set up sounded superb.

Lindsay - did you visit this AudioQuest room?

Nigel - no just one of many I didn’t get to.

Totally agree Nigel with your comment on everything. I have the NDX 2 with the 555PS and it’s fantastic.

I personally don’t see the point in wanting to upgrade to the ND555, as to my ears the difference was minimal and the cost a little prohibitive for the improvement.

I think NAIM just might have made the NDX 2 a little better than they should have. :wink:

1 Like

the best cleaner by far is PEEK METAL cleaner …liquid or paste . i find liquid the best