Bristol Show 2019

There does seem to be great synergy between Naim electronics & Dynaudio speakers. I’ve heard them at Brizzol for several years, and I always go back for a second listen.

Of course, that may be because they play music to which I like to listen, and not the usual plinky-plonky “hifi show” cr@p.

3 Likes

I may be being unfair, but I think Jason and his choice of music does Naim no favours. At Audio show east the guys from Naim played a wide variety of music, and most people thought it a great room.

We had Pat Meheny, Tracy Chapman, some non-descript stuff in the middle, some Level 42 and finally at the request of one of the audience, two short minutes of classical.

FFS, play some Stones or Rush and let us hear what the system can really do! I recall, many years ago they played Sweet Child in Time though active 500s + F’ugly Grand Wotsits - absolutely stunning; If I had the dosh, I’d have bought it on the spot!

1 Like

Yep that was it, Pat Metheny, an awful Tracy Chapman song, Level 42, Sohn’s Veto (which I actually liked), Shelby Lynne and a bit of Saint Saëns.

It came to me reading a review of something a few minutes ago, that nearing the end of the demo I’d noticed that foot tapping had been entirely absent for the whole hour for me.

Did anyone else hear the Amphion speakers? I really liked them and the minimalist design was very nice too.

1 Like

By trying to select music to please everyone in a demo (25ish people in the hourly Naim demos, all with diverse tastes) with limited time, trying to directly compare 3 products (plus the addition of a PS) you are on a hiding to nothing. I thought the music selection was better this year in the Naim big demo, with some stuff that was recognisable and diverse without being weird.

As Jason pointed out it was a ‘test drive’, no definitive answers promised or delivered. These demos can show some differences between products but can never reveal their ultimate SQ potential. A guide, and only a guide.

I think the risk of demoing kit at an event like the Bristol Show is that punters have built up such high expectations (e.g. based on what has been said on here about the ND555) that the demonstration can be a real disappointment and kit can even be rejected as a result.

I always approach Show demos with low expectations but still come across frankly shockingly bad experiences. You feel like saying, ‘mate, do yourself a favour, switch it off and go home, you are doing your brand image real harm’. Whereas in other rooms I can hear quite modest and unpretentious systems sounding wonderful, despite the dreadful surroundings. For me that is the interest of these shows as well as learning more about the hobby I love.

6 Likes

Could this be Sohn ?

Cheers

1 Like

[Pedantic mode] Can’t have been an active Grand Utopia system, they don’t do an active crossover for Focal speakers. [/Pedantic mode]

Did anyone get a listen to the new exposure active crossover…presumably with the partnering Kudos speakers?

Thanks Nigel. The interest is that apparently it could be used on its own with Naim amps and Kudos. Though as mentioned elsewhere Signals can do active Kudos with Naim. Will enquire tomorrow how they have done this.

Yes, I would be interested to hear that but this might be a sensitive area to discuss on here - not sure.

Do you have my e-mail address?

No I don,t have your email Nigel. I will find out if it’s sensitive tomorrow, it is mentioned on their website in the end of year summary?

Yes I believe it was, thanks.

Agreed. And really Suzy although Tracey Chapman is not on my list I’d have had no complaints at all.

Saint Saëns Organ symphony is one of my favorites and it is a wonderful test track. I would start with it (I actually bring it always on a demo). There is a very low bass line which is ‘mild’ and not punchy. This should be in balance with the whole orchestra. If played right, it fills a room with a creamsweet sound!

Forgot a-ha’s acoustic version of Take On me, which seems to be from MTV’s unplugged performance.

Mrs Cat will enjoy that album.

Yes I did. I thought they sounded really nice in the zone but i could hear quite a build up of bass when leaning back at the opposite far wall, don’t know why I instinctively do this, but I did. Lovely aesthetics though. I reckon you would need quite a fast amp with these so maybe Naim would be ideal.

1 Like

I think if I was getting a system from scratch that the Hegel and Amphion combination was stunning value for money for under £6000 with streaming capability built-in to the integrated and balanced inputs too.

1 Like

This was surprisingly outstanding system, and these particular ATC SCM40 really were a class above most other speakers I heard at the show.

1 Like

I really wish I’d had time to hear the ATCs