British HI FI what about the midlands?!

That is when it became a messā€¦

Nothing to do with the cars, it was a problem with management and solutions to management problems.

Also applies to other industriesā€¦

Yes up in Durham now since the original owner passed away

BSR (Birmingham Sound Reproducers) produced auto-changers for Dansette. Surely responsible for most peopleā€™s interest in hi-fi !

2 Likes

Sorry it was to do with the cars - Marina, Ital etc. !!! Bad designs, poor quality, inadequate management, red robbo unions and striking workers. They deserved each other and brought the early car promise of the Midlands area to a halt. Demise was inevitable. It is a great subject for industry analysis.

Of course the UK now produces some great cars - Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Mini, Land Rover and Ford !!!

The electronics researched at Malvern RRE (radar) and Cheltenham GCHQ never seem to have contributed to hifi to my knowledge. With the exception of Warwick science park other attempts to float science parks have not really been successful. Lucas industries. There was a history of camera manufacture and some electronics at GEC, but history now. There is talk of Film Making by Steven Knight. Peaky Blinders etc. but this remains to be seen. I agree with you and Simon.
Thereā€™s also the BBC Engineering Training at Wood Norton, Iā€™d imagine some technology and certainly people would have passed through here.

I have to agree, Paul. Michael Edwardes was brought in to do a job and the unions fell into his hands. Iā€™d add Allegro to your list! If it isnā€™t a case study in business school it should be.

1 Like

Started with a BSR MP60 ā€¦many turntables laterā€¦Rega P8

2 Likes

Who decides the car design?
Who sets the agenda for future development and designs?
Who sets the wages?
Who designs the factories?
And so on

The managementā€¦

The workers screw the cars together (up) and weld the joints (in those days)

The unions do their best to protect the workers from exploition, they do not want to see the company go bust, not in the interest of the workers.
However, fair wages (compared to management, particularly senior management) is in the interest of the workers.

Discussā€¦

1 Like

Probably a better idea to get back on topic. Thanks.

Suggest you setup a separate thread to share your opinions on the midlands auto industry.

1 Like

Anybody know about them or have them?
Lived there for years but never heard of them - maybe I was too early.
Seems the model 85 had a good reputation.

Pretty cool looking

1 Like

Thats manfi right there!

Look impressive.
I did find an old comment about someone who had damaged one of his cabinets and took them to Griffin for repair. Apparently the enclosures were made by the factory next door - who made coffins !

That may appeal to her indoors as she might use my large enclosures for my disposal.

1 Like

Must have sounded dead goodā€¦sorry

2 Likes

According to good old Wiki The East Midlands is one of nine official regions of England at the first level of NUTS for statistical purposes. It consists of Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Lincolnshire (except North and North East Lincolnshire), Northamptonshire, Nottinghamshire and Rutland.

Are we considering hifi equipment and accessories that are actually designed and built in one of the above Counties ;or just that the company has representation in one of the above Counties but itā€™s products are manufactured else where in the world?

That settles it. ProAc are definitely a midlands hi-fi manufacturer.

Slightly off topic although still a regional observation (if that counts!).

Iā€™m always baffled that Bristol finds itself supported by only one decent hifi dealer. That dealer is part of a national chain and although stocks Naim I never get the sense that they are particularly interested in it although others may well disagree.

When I was younger Bristol had Audio Excellence (where Jason worked) as well as Radfords Hifi on Gloucester Road where Paul Stephenson worked.

Radfords, in particular, was absolutely superb and always pretty busy. I remember buying my first Arcam / Kef set up there and drooling over the Naim boxes that were well out of my range.

This part of the world has such a strong music and audio heritage (the ā€œBristol showā€ etc) yet there is only one store serving the higher end market in the entire city. I always think that there would be a terrific opportunity for an independent dealer (like Audience in Bath) to open up here and really do well. I did mention it to Adam at Nintronics once (who BTW Iā€™ve always found to be terrific and willing to do a ā€œdealā€ like a good dealer should) and he seemed quite interested!

1 Like

ā€¦donā€™t go off topicā€¦not even the slightest deviationā€¦(just a minute mode)
No one will manage!!

(joke)

1 Like

There used to be several, but perhaps not to the Linn/Naim level.
I cannot remember the names, definitely two different stores, one in Eastville, one in Bishopston that were run by PO Telephones/BT engineers, I know they dealt with Leak, Rogers, Eagle, Garrard.
Then there was Paul Roberts, still exists but I think majors on AV.
A store in Park Street Avenue used to sell Quad, Ferrograph and looked down their noses at teenagers, who obviously couldnā€™t afford it, anything that came from overseas wasnā€™t real hifi.
Then there was a chap who ran a business with no store front, Westbury or Clifton(?) He used to demo by appointment only.
A store in a high rise building, sold Quad and Goldring, again cannot remember the name, I bought a Goldring G101 there.
We mustnā€™t miss out Laskys.
The local heritage of course included Radford Electtonics and Nytech.