BT Smart Hub 2 And App Connection Issues

Of course like any hardware you will need to make an assessment of your requirements and suitability including security of available hardware. However it may be a perfectly sensible and cost effective option for many users. There is such a thing as over spending to achieve no additional benefit. Fine if you have unlimited funds but not as sustainable an option as utilising what you may be able to repurpose. As ever YMMV.

1 Like

Very true.

I have a BT Smart Hub 2 with

Firmware version: v0.26.04.04227-BT
Firmware updated: 26-May-2021

and yet the problem persists - should this firmware have fixed the issue ?

Yes, I have that firmware version and it was indeed meant to solve the problem. Like you, it hasnā€™t quite. My Qb2 keeps disappearing.
I find I have to restart the router once a fortnight. No idea why, but it seems to solve the problem for a fortnight and then it will vanish again until I restart it.

Thanks - will try a router reboot. My quick fix is to toggle wi fi off and then on again on my iPad. This gives me a window to use the app, but after a few mins it must switch channels and I lose connection again. I wonder if anybody has raised this with BT for the latest firmware.

I donā€™t think itā€™s anything to do with the firmware, that solved the problem it was intended for.

The BT SH2 is pretty well solid, provided you donā€™t try do something or to use it outside itā€™s design intent. A mate tried to make his own range extender using something nonBT, but eventually accepted the only way was using BT kit, & heā€™s an IT/electronics engineer.

If BT havenā€™t fixed their ā€˜bands not seeing each otherā€™ issue then its worth exploring turning off the 5Ghz band.
More info here: Help Centre

I believe you need to be using firmware version:v0.26.04.04227-BT for the wifi bridge fix.

However it is still seemingly showing some interoperability issues with a few clients on 5GHz if you read the BT community social media site, that look similar to me to some devices I have experienced on Ubiquiti wifi access points. it might point to some lowlevel client issues, but without wireless debug I canā€™t prove or suggest anything other than trying wireless mode 3 or limit the wireless band again,

I tried the wireless mode 3 option with no effect sadly.

Hi Simon,

Iā€™m looking for a bit of guidance. What BT ā€˜meshā€™ disc do I need to extend my BT Smart Hub 2?

I find the way BT are marketing their home wi-fi solutions very confusing. Even their service department donā€™t seem to know what I need. They sent me one of the white round discs but that doesnā€™t work without another component and I had to send it back to them.

Any idea what I should be looking for?

Thanks,

Geko.

The BT SmartHub 2 is designed to work with the black BT Discs.
It really is quite simple & find it hard to believe BT technical or sales people donā€™t get it right.

Set up is remarkably easy, follow the instructions
ā€¦ā€¦ connect the Disc to the SH2 with a short length of ethernet, wait until the blue light tells you itā€™s done the hand shake, remove the ethernet, mount the disc where you want it somewhere between the main hub & the area you are extending to, switch on & away you go.

Hi as Mike advises above.

BT have updated firmware again, its now v0.27.06.04290-BT
Black Disc firmware is unchanged
Not sure why, thereā€™s nothing on www that I can find, maybe its correcting inoperability as per S-i-S post (link)

Thanks - I have switched off the second channel for now but will try again once I have the new firmware.

Thanks Mike-B,

Worked perfectly.

Just a quick question, if I plug an ethernet cable into the disc and something like my blink camera I assume it will be like plugging it in to the router?

I donā€™t know Geko. Iā€™ve not done anything with mine. But reading some www stuff I see it can connect anything requiring a network port. So it seems its OK to give it a try.

So I now have the latest firmware ( v0.27.06.04290-BT ) and have reinstated both wi fi channels.

So far so good - Fingers crossed that BT finally fixed it!

Our BT home network seems to have sorted itself out for nowā€¦ :crossed_fingers:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.