BT Smart Hub 2 Playing Up Again

I have a Smart hub 2 and had issues with my Qb2 disappearing from the app naim app frequently. The Bt software update cured that, but then the problem came back again last month. I have to restart my router every 3 weeks or so which helps. I may try fixing the channels again to see if that does any good.
Hopefully BT will sort it out, although not holding my breath on that.

I suspect it is not a BT issue. BTW no issue with my Qb and BT Smart Hub 2 here. (havenā€™t used my Qb for three weeks - just opened the Naim app up and instantly there)

Things disappearing from the Naim app after a period of time can be for whole load of reasons - many of those can be down to app and driver software.

When your Qb2 ā€œdisappearsā€ from the Naim App. Does it also disappear when using LAN Analyser (a free iOS tool). If so - there is unlikely to be anything wrong with your home network - as the Qb is still connected - and that points to a software issue or if connected with wifi potentially a poor wifi signal. If your Qb is by your wifi router does it improve - you might be better off with a connected mesh system or BT discs connected to your SH2. wifi often works better with several low power APs rather than s ingle AP trying to beam out to everywhere and listen to everyone

Iā€™ll have a look at that LAN analyser when I get back home.
It disappears from the naim app, but carries on playing qobuz or radio etc.
If my Muso 2 (wired) is playing via multiroom, that then stops playing when the Qb2 disappears.
Certainly it played trouble free when BT released that update some months ago to fix the issues a lot of Sonos users were experiencing.
The wifi signal where it is placed is strong.
Thanks for the input; I know very little about networking etc!

Hi - no worries this doesnā€™t sound a networking matter

It disappears from the naim app, but carries on playing qobuz or radio etc.
If my Muso 2 (wired) is playing via multiroom, that then stops playing when the Qb2 disappears.

These two points sound suspicious to me and feels more a app/product issue rather than a networking one per se as Qobuz or iRadio would then stop it the device disappeared off the network.

It could be some IGMP snooping issue on the wifi interface (which would be a networking issue) - but that would affect many other products too I would expect.

Let us know whether LAN Analyser shows the device as missing via wifi when disappears from the Naim app. Assume you are using iOS?

BTW my SH2 firmware updated to V.31.00.10253-BT a few days ago.

S

1 Like

Hi Simon, thanks for the info.
DMZ is already OFF
Nothing seems to be affected with UPnP OFF, so Iā€™m keeping it OFF.
Iā€™ve gone back to Extended UPnP Security ON for the time being until Iā€™m sure what it actually does

PS: Extended UPnP Security is related to home network security & gaming devices.
However I found the excellent LinnDocs specifically recommend ā€œOn BTHomeHubs turn Extended UPnP security OFFā€
I now have mine OFF

FWIW my Atom HE was unusable with it onā€¦

I had a look via a lan analyser. It did disappear from the connected devices when it wasnā€™t visible in the naim app. Not only that, but it was listed as a Generic device using the IP address (as opposed to my Lounge Muso which was listed as such), which seemed a bit strange.

So I did a factory reset on the Qb2 using the pinhole at the back. Reset it up. Tried doing it with my iPhone, but had trouble, so used my iPad.

After doing this, it still wasnā€™t visible on my iPhone. Tried hard resets etc. Eventually, using the naim app there is an option for a network scan. I did this and after pressing ā€œbackā€ the Qb2 was visible in the app.

So I will see what happens going forward, but at the moment itā€™s visible in the naim app and also is listed in the analyser as a naim Qb2 and not generic. (Only did all this, this morning, so early days!)

My SH2 is still on v0.30.01.08093-BT from 6/12/21

Were you running it on the same iOS device you are running the Naim app?
Or were you running it via Ethernet or another wifi device?

What do you mean by ā€˜genericā€™?

This is what I see from my iPad

Failing that I am at a lossā€¦ might need to wait for the latest firmware from BT which is being rolled out, though I have no problems at all.

Yes I was using my iPhone.
The generic device below the muso was in fact my Qb2.

Hmm. Ok when you hit the right arrow on the ā€˜genericā€™ do you see the services like

If not that says there is no response back from the Qb2 on that address.

You could also try and ping itā€¦ if you know how to do thatā€¦

Out of interest if you disconnect the other Naim device, does the remaining one then work fine?

Another thing to try, just in case something on your wlan is causing interoperability issues with your Naim, is to go to Mode 2 and then Mode 3 on Advanced wifi setup in Advanced Settings on SH2ā€¦ this degrades performance but increases interoperabilityā€¦ I do think this is unlikely though.

I do wonder if there is some strange interaction between your Muso and Qb2. Canā€™t remember are both on wifi or one on Ethernet?

I believe that if you touch the circle to the left of the word Generic, you can select a device type image & add your own name.

1 Like

Just back in the house. The Qb2 is missing from my naim app on my iPhone, but still there on my iPad naim app.
All very strange. Hopefully Iā€™ll get an update on my Smart hub 2 soon and that will help.
The Qb2 is wifi and the Muso wired.
I have tried the different modes in advanced settings in the past and it didnā€™t seem to make any difference.
Thanks for the help in any case; I think Iā€™ll need to live with it as it is.

Ok, if on iPhone, but not iPad, then I think that fairly safely rules out the BT SH2 being the issue assuming you are using its wifi access point.
Are you running the latest iOS updates and bug fixes? I assume you are.

Yes,
15.2.1 on iphone se
15.2 on iPad.
I reset the network settings on my iPhone with no change.
Only thing I havenā€™t done recently is restart the router

And if you power one of the Naim devices offā€¦ after a while does everything settle down with the remaining device? It it does it might point to an issue with the Naim IGMP protocol version and implementation with the Qb2 and Muso when on the same WLAN or even subnetā€¦
Short of debug there is not much else I can suggest other than contact Naim.

The SH2 has fairly extensive IGMP support so as to support multicast with services like BT TV.

Did you look at what services were being reported for the ā€˜generic deviceā€™ ā€¦ did you see Bonjour and UPnP ?

You shouldnā€™t keep restarting the router ā€¦ and if you do regularly the DLM might start to downgrade your xDSL connection.

If restarting kicks everything into life but then times out again it does possibly point to an issue with IGMP or possibly wifi power managementā€¦

You could try and borrow another access pointā€¦ and plug into your SH2 to see if that makes a difference, but starting to clutch at straws without proper debug.

Thanks very much indeed for your help.
Whilst looking in the advanced settings of the sh2 just now, I switched the wps on. Shortly after that the Qb2 re-appeared in the naim app. On checking the channels being used in the smart hub, they had changed to 1 and 36. (They were 4 and 36 I think just before). The Qb2 is currently connected via 2.4Ghz.
Maybe Iā€™ll try fixing them to that to see if that helps. (A little knowledge is a dangerous thing I knowā€¦)

Fixing the channels wonā€™t do much, the BT SH2ā€™s ability to roam the channels & optimise depending on busy channels in a crowded neighbourhood is a good thing.
WPS is a button that requires pressing for ~3 seconds to connect up an unconnected device, but its a press button like a bell push, its not a push on & push off switch

Thanks; accept I would be clutching at straws a bit.
I should have been clearer; I switched the wps feature on within the advanced settings, not the button.

1 Like

Hi, I have the same issue, really frustrating, also a Smart Hub 2 user, both my Musoā€™s (Gen 1) have started to regularly disappear from the Naim App, however my ND5 XS2 is always there. All 3 devices are connected directly via ethernet cables, if I log into the BT App & look at the network I can see them, however the Naim app isnā€™t picking them up. Have tried powering down both the Musos & the router etc but often itā€™s not successful & I just have to wait for them to randomly re-appear (& then disappear again).

Hi ChrisH2, this is weird, I have no such problems, but whatever there are similar reports on the forum that are not with BT hubs. I suspect this is something in the app or iPad,
also I see some that itā€™s a problem with iPad but not iPhone @pocklefo, @Naim.Marketing

But Chris, as you have a Smart Hub can you try resetting the same as I have mine, these are deviations from default but I must add that I have them set this way for reasons other than this specific problem(s)

The settings are all in the Advanced section of the BT Home Hub GUI
WPS off
DMZ off
UPnP off
Extended UPnP Security off - you might find that changes something if you do a lot of gaming.