Budget turntables

Can’t find the edit, but the arm is an RB300

Feeling Zen has a rather nice TEAC complete with phono stage

On pure looks alone, I could live with that

3 Likes

Ended up going with an option my dealer recommended a Dual CS 415-2EV. Least if I want to upgrade in a year or so I know I won’t lose much of my original outlay. Thanks for you for all your input and assistance.

Pick it up in 2 weeks when I’m back in the big smoke.

9 Likes

Excellent. I like the clean simple style, will go nicely with the Naim.

1 Like

Fuss free (hopefully) and plug and play.

2 Likes

Congrats Pete - hope it brings hours of pleasure! Now get signed up to Discogs :+1:

2 Likes

Smart move :+1:

1 Like

Enjoy! And please report back on whether you keep it happily, give up after a brief flirtation or upgrade.

4 Likes

We look forward to the review.

It will make a change from the “usual suspects”

1 Like

Only problem is it’ll most likely only connected to my Atom as it’ll be 12 months (at least) till my main system is unboxed and reconnected.

I’m hoping it’ll give me some idea of how it could sound. Definitely keep you posted. Cheers.

3 Likes

Consider a Clearaudio Concept turntable. It’s within your budget (which sounds similar to mine). I have one and it sounds great.

No unauthorised commercial links in the Hifi Corner please, thanks.

Apologies.

1 Like

Yeah but mine’s the direct drive variant. Probably best the OP went with the Dual. Respectable.

People look at me sideways when I say I have a TEAC turntable.

1 Like

I think it’s the nicest looking sub £1,000 turntable (or at least until the Technics turned up) and to be fair you also tweaked it with higher quality cartridge and power supply .

2 Likes

And probably the only sub 20k turntable with an SAEC tonearm :slight_smile:

1 Like

:eyes:

2 Likes

Vinyl is an expensive habit to get into, if you have none, I would suggest a decent DAC, DSD compatible, and a streamer that supports Roon. Roon is ideal on a dedicated PC/NUC. I run it on an a Windows 10 based NUC, the DAC is connected via USB.

I have around 300 LP’s, tempted to spend more on it, but then my Roon based PC, with a March DAC-1, DSD256 compatible sounds so good, ripped CD’s, a Tidal HiFi, and Qobuz subscription make my music very enjoyable! I haven’t played an LP in months.

March are based in Australia, so you might be able to find one to listen too before purchase.

If you really want to go down the vinyl route, Rega is the way to go. I have a Pink Triangle PT01, Rega RB300, Rega Elys2 cartridge. To upgrade it further I’d be looking at maybe a Funk Firm houdini or maybe a new cartridge. However, it is not a priority for me at the moment.

I already own a full stack of Naim gear (plus An Atom and Muso) including a NDX2, the turntable is just an experiment. The price and quality of vinyl is an issue and the reason why it will never really replace my digital playback preference.

I’ve heard about March but not has the pleasure of hearing anything of there’s.

1 Like

Bargain bins of second hand vinyl are your friend here. Even then it’s not cheap but I’ve discovered some new music this way I’d never have thought of. I wouldn’t say I grew a large vinyl collection in 12 months, but enough to be happy.

1 Like