Buena Vista Social Club 25 year remaster

Ry Cooder has remastered from the original master tapes and added a whole new bunch of tracks which were left off the original. Just a first listen at the moment, but it sounds great. Over 2 hours of music, great entertainment and great value.

12 Likes

25 years! I canā€™t believe where the time has gone.

Thanks for the heads-up.

G

5 Likes

Listened to it the other day, excellent recording, great album.

1 Like

A rare instance of the reissue showing some improvement. Second disc largely a waste of timer though. A couple of alternate, inferior versions and a fair bit of hokey cheese which simply serves to show how well the original was edited and ordered.

1 Like

I actually prefer the original, more depth to my ears.

1 Like

Iā€™m preferring the new one but the second disc is neither here nor there.

As an aside, I am lucky enough to have the Classic Records vinyl and it is on a different planet to both digital versions.

Having heard that at a friends I have to say I disagree. It is different and no more than that. For some it will be better but for me, and indeed my friend, it was near identical to our original CDs. There was a marginal improvement in terms of stereo spread but an imbalance between certain instruments introduced, which doesnā€™t exist on any other version. It introduces an emphasis on different rhythms within the music as instruments are given an emphasis they donā€™t have in the original mix. Listen hard and youā€™ll hear that the extra detail youā€™re drooling over is actually at the expense of some detail around percussion and high frequency guitar strings notably E A and D.

I have not listened to it yet but i remember the original recording to be top notch, so am wondering what there is to improveā€¦
Of course if you don t own the original recording or for a new audience, it probably makes sense to get the new vinyl as i suppose the old one must be hard to come by for a reasonable price.

Thanks Mike.

This all, of course, is subjective and is probably down to personal taste. I find the new remaster very high end focussed and whilst I can hear some improvement in HF areas that, at least to me, is at the expense of depth and warmth.

I tend to agree that the vinyl is closer to the original CD but I think the vinyl is by a margin better.

Itā€™s interesting. Iā€™m only 9 months into streaming and trying to not get too caught up in the whole comparing this to that scene. Generally though Iā€™ve been unimpressed with high resolution albums. Sometimes theyā€™re simply mastered louder. If thereā€™s extra anything other than volume itā€™s not really obvious. Occasionally thereā€™s more detail but, as you say, at the expense of warmth and depth.

My experience here is different.
I think that ā€˜A Tus Piesā€™ or ā€˜La CleptĆ³manoā€™ , for example, would not have been out of place on the original release.
I am also revelling in what is, in my system, a noticeable extension in the lower frequency instruments.
Horses for coursesā€¦.

1 Like

Thus my use of the word ā€œlargelyā€ :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.