Burke Shelley RIP

Guardian reporting the death of one of the great singer/bassists- Burke Shelley of Budgie. Criminally underrated band who influenced many mega bands to follow (check out Metallica’s version of Breadfan)

4 Likes

Rest in peace Mr Shelley and thanks for a lifetime of music.

These three will get a hammering this evening.

4 Likes

Tragedy. RIP Mr Shelley

I only saw them once, supporting Ozzy at Glasgow Apollo in 1980, as mentioned in Guardian obituary.
I thought they were awesome and still do. Not least because Burke looked and sounded like Geddy Lee.
Many a happy hour spent scouring the record shops of central Scotland.
Their back catalogue took a bit of tracking down in those days (no Discogs, eBay).
I was elated to find did Bandolier and Never Turn Your Back on a Friend in a second hand shop in Falkirk, and duly spent lots of my hard earned paper-round money.

1 Like

I came across them on Whistle Test playing Breadfan and bought Never Turn. I then saw them at Birmingham town hall in the 70”s…
Not my usual type of music style but I seem to gravitate towards Welsh bands…
Man …. Seen a few times at Birmingham Town Hall and I own most of their catalogue.
Manic Street Preachers … I like a lot of their output but got a bit bored with their most recent output.

1 Like

What a shame, yet another great musician gone, as I’ve said before, all going too soon, shortly at this rate any way all the true musicians and singers will be gone and all we’ll be left with will be the likes of ‘little mix’ - taxi!!

2 Likes

This duplicates the thread RIP Burke Shelley. Or rather the otherway round, as I see this was first. @Richard.Dane it may be nice to combine?

1 Like

We were just discussing Budgie the other day on the best concerts thread. Thank you for the great rock music, and I’ll be spinning a few old LPs over the next few days. They were hugely influential for some very big bands that had more success.

Here’s a nice tribute:

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up.

Budgie were a great band, just never made the big time. I saw them quite a few times back in the 70s/80s, my favourite album is Never turn your back on a friend. RIP Burke

3 Likes

Agreed. Threads combined.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.