Burn in - a myth?

Please name the best one or two of these that you know of.

To be perfectly honest I really can’t remember. They are just articles I’ve come across when looking at reviews. But if you look at various on-line reviews of cables from The Chord Company or Atlas Cables you will no doubt find some of them. I’m not sure if any are available on the Chord website - might be worth a look. Try Hi-Fi Pig or The Ear.

Many thanks for letting us know this.

Looks like this thread is well burned in, and might be approaching burn-out.

5 Likes

Not at all. It was just a suggestion really for you to take a look there, rather than being a piece of interesting information in itself. Do try Hi-fi Pig or The Ear as I’m pretty certain I’ve read manufacturer’s feedback on cable reviews there. Good luck.

I seem to be coming to this particular party just after the fight is over and the police are asking if none of us has homes to go to, but I thought I might just unabashedly quote myself from a few years ago because it was my attempt to answer the age-old question ‘what’s the science’?

1 Like

These kind of threads always follow the same pattern, broadly speaking.

People hear an effect, which they decribe. Other people, who do not hear it, are unable to accept that the effect can be real, because they can’t hear it. Fair enough.

What then happens though is that those who cannot hear it demand ‘scientific proof’ from those who do in order to ‘validate’ their experiences. If they are unable to provide this, and of course they cannot, then they are deemed to be experiencing various forms of aural hallucination.

What on earth has science got to do with listening to a hi-fi system?

What would be really productive is to accept that, even if you don’t hear it yourself, the effect may nevertheless occur as some people do experience it. What we should then do, rather than pointlessly attempting to debunk it, is to investigate possible reasons why some people may hear it and others don’t.

This approach requires both intelligence and an open mind.

1 Like

Obviously it’s because their systems aren’t “high-end” enough! :sweat_smile:

you say you’re a scientist but are unwilling to entertain other possibilities?

Not obvious to me. More likely I would say that they are not resolving enough or that the effects may be masked in some systems by other factors. Just a thought though. I can’t prove it scientifically or direct you to any research papers that will ‘prove’ it to you.

If you read my post No. 421 this makes my position clear.

I got myself terribly excited about the prospect of adding a dCS Network Bridge to my system.

When I managed to achieve that my expectations were so high that my prophecies fulfilled themselves, and the new box sounded amazing.

That is, until I removed it a week later and realised it made little or no difference.

[There is a thread about it on this forum if you want to read the excruciating details].

You may be immune to such biases, but many mere mortals or not.

2 Likes

indeed it does!

Thank you for including a link to that thread.

I will quote it here for those who can’t be bothered to look at the other thread.

This is an interesting hypothesis for cable burn in:

“A physical process which will happen in a stranded cable as it has an AC signal passed through it is that the individual strands will attract and not-attract each other with every AC cycle. If the cable has been left with stresses in it as a result of the manufacturing process, this cycling of attracting and not-attracting could reduce these stresses which, in turn, could change the electrical characteristics of the cable. This, in turn, could be audible.

Note to argumentative readers: I have very intentionally couched that explanation very conditionally. I have also not ventured a personal opinion on the matter. Bear that in mind before you waste your time and effort shouting at me.”

1 Like

It’s a strange thing that almost always when I have experienced cable burn-in the sound over the first few days gets markedly worse. Now I do not purchase a new £500 cable expecting that to happen. I expect it to sound better.

I got myself rather excited about the prospect of inserting an EE8 switch between my router and Melco. It sounded much better than without it.

When I removed it sometime later (to re-arrange my mains supply) it didn’t make little or no difference. It sounded siginificantly worse.

Same.

Which proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that I am sometimes right.

Like the mythical oozlum bird, this thread seems to have the ability to fly around in ever decreasing circles until it flies right up its own bum.

Still I do find it entertaining in a perverse kind of way :man_shrugging:

1 Like

This thread is almost as bad as trying to give my kids advice. One’s doing a lot of talking and the others not listening.

Think everyone has made their minds up and no matter the number of words no one is going to change their mind.

7 Likes

:rofl: