Burn in - a myth?

I got myself terribly excited about the prospect of adding a dCS Network Bridge to my system.

When I managed to achieve that my expectations were so high that my prophecies fulfilled themselves, and the new box sounded amazing.

That is, until I removed it a week later and realised it made little or no difference.

[There is a thread about it on this forum if you want to read the excruciating details].

You may be immune to such biases, but many mere mortals or not.

2 Likes

indeed it does!

Thank you for including a link to that thread.

I will quote it here for those who can’t be bothered to look at the other thread.

This is an interesting hypothesis for cable burn in:

“A physical process which will happen in a stranded cable as it has an AC signal passed through it is that the individual strands will attract and not-attract each other with every AC cycle. If the cable has been left with stresses in it as a result of the manufacturing process, this cycling of attracting and not-attracting could reduce these stresses which, in turn, could change the electrical characteristics of the cable. This, in turn, could be audible.

Note to argumentative readers: I have very intentionally couched that explanation very conditionally. I have also not ventured a personal opinion on the matter. Bear that in mind before you waste your time and effort shouting at me.”

1 Like

It’s a strange thing that almost always when I have experienced cable burn-in the sound over the first few days gets markedly worse. Now I do not purchase a new £500 cable expecting that to happen. I expect it to sound better.

I got myself rather excited about the prospect of inserting an EE8 switch between my router and Melco. It sounded much better than without it.

When I removed it sometime later (to re-arrange my mains supply) it didn’t make little or no difference. It sounded siginificantly worse.

Same.

Which proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that I am sometimes right.

Like the mythical oozlum bird, this thread seems to have the ability to fly around in ever decreasing circles until it flies right up its own bum.

Still I do find it entertaining in a perverse kind of way :man_shrugging:

1 Like

This thread is almost as bad as trying to give my kids advice. One’s doing a lot of talking and the others not listening.

Think everyone has made their minds up and no matter the number of words no one is going to change their mind.

7 Likes

:rofl:

Just every now and again Jim :grin:

Isn’t that just the forum norm? It’s become worse since I joined two years ago :thinking:

1 Like

This thread is worse than religion and that’s a taboo subject.
Believe or don’t believe. :exploding_head:

2 Likes

I think it is more like people arguing because neither agree with the other’s argument - but then isn’t that common to forums? And out of forums?

Some people simply argue their view. Some maybe argue for the fun of arguing. Some might do it to wind others up, Some also make suggestions that could help find more conclusive information that would help bring agreement if people wish to find the actual facts/truth - but of course that only works if people want to find that, and are willing/able and have tine to spend effort.

But the thread need only be read by those wanting to participate or watch progress (or non-progress). And hopefully participants remain civilised and adult about it.

5 Likes

Good point. :+1:

HiFi is a religion when it relies on unprovable beliefs. It only becomes a problem for me when your beliefs have to be my beliefs. Science allows us to question our beliefs and change them appropriately. No science then the belief remains just that.

3 Likes

@bruss
What you said.
Pretty much a full description of what I meant.
More eloquently put. :+1:t2:

Although “what sounds best” is subjective, listening to hifi is not a scientific exercise or results based on an exact science. Some results defy logic in fact. My question regarding burn in is how many 500 level system owners, who listen regularly, believe that the phenomena doesn’t exist?

2 Likes

Exactly. So if you find it distasteful or annoying just don’t read it.

That’s pretty much all there is to it.

What I object to in the strongest terms is somebody else trying to convince me that they know what I’m hearing, and why, better than I do myself.

1 Like

Would it help to try to convince you that some people can’t hear what you are hearing and so are unconvinced? There will always be disagreement on this subject. The way I reconcile it is that my wife says she can’t hear any difference when she listens to my system compared to listening to the tv. If there is a difference, she has no interest in it because it doesn’t spoil her enjoyment of listening to the tv.

2 Likes