Burndy lesson learned! Shake it to wake it!

I recall at one time suggesting Naim gear is just too flaky for many and it’s why they steer clear or put it down, and boy was I flamed. I rest my case…

In a hobby where some spend a deal of money and time on an array of tweaks and embellishments (cable risers, gold audiophile fuses to name but two), I don’t really see how Naim can be considered particularly ‘flaky’…

1 Like

The question occurs to me…I have no Naim cables…the cables that I do have, should I give them a shake?
:wink:

The picture of the Burndy shows it is a great way to connect multiple sources when a Din
is not sufficient. I take it the voltage is 12v which does not seem to contaminate audio signals.
Perhaps when the cable is made it was never specified the connectors be mirror imaged if that is what they need so the whole cable can simply be rotated for alignment.

Not sure about he voltage, but it is 24V DC in SNAICs

I’m not sure what you mean. The issue is in practice that the plugs must be inserted in a specific orientation but the units they connect are placed differently in every system - in one stack or two, on the same or different levels. Each configuration requires a different rotation around the cable’s internal longitudinal axis, which should be achieved without forcefully twisting it.

It’s really the same as with an interconnect. This also becomes stiff when you twist it on one end. But a burndy is finger-thick, so it is even more noticeable

2 Likes

My Vintage Naim outputs 24v I just never research anything!
Right Mirror image (same orientation both ends ) works for Sideways placement
but for a Direct Stack it is 180 degrees out. This is a big twist.
Seems not enough a problem they need to make Std and 180degree cables.

180 degrees? Both 4 pin sockets are of the same orientation on the 32 and 110 so whether they are plugged in side-by-side or one above the other the SNAIC isn’t being rotated by 180 degrees but by 90 degrees at the most, and that is over 1.25m of a fairly flexible cable so should not be an issue.

You are just going to confuse me are you not!
Cable in Q.is Burndy (not for 32/110)
I have no idea of socket orientation on the equipment it relates to.
But working it out in my head if 2 components have identical socket orientation
and you stack them vertically when the cable does its U bend is it not now upside down
and so 180 degrees out?
You have more equipment than me and on that basis what you say goes!

I’m trying not to, apologies if I am. :upside_down_face:

I don’t believe so. The difference between side-by-side and one above the other is 90 degrees. If you do the “cable shake and massage” in the orientation that you intend to install the kit in then this will remove tension at the plug end making connection easy. Any rotation of the cable due to box position is spread over its length.

My XPS Burndy fell naturally into a side-by-side configuration and some gentle swinging made it a matter of seconds to fit. You’ve got me thinking now :thinking: do Naim orient Burndy plugs to match this layout as there was no forcing required.

Hi Guinnless, You have got me with the 90/180 degree conclusion. (perhaps you have to be there ?)
But AS IT IS a simple 90 degree i can see no reason for all the discussion of it there has been.

When I visited the factory quite a few years ago our group were shown the cable frame shaker which basically wiggled the suspended cables. Asking the obvious “why” there was no definitive answer apart from the fact it worked so it was part of the overall build process.

1 Like

It’s true. Naim don’t always have the answers for a number of things that seem to make a positive subjective difference. But just because you don’t fully understand why something works well, doesn’t mean it’s invalid or something to be dismissed.

5 Likes

I believe this was known as the SNAIC Shaker… :grin:

Which, just to really confuse everyone, is used for shaking interconnects…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.