Buying second hand

I have used Audiogon extensively over the years as an affordable way to experiment and refine my system. Buying used means I can try products for months or even a couple of years and sell for only a small loss as I try something else. It is a community of audiophiles so I have more confidence than eBay. It is true that some buyers negotiate hard, offering lowball prices, but it is my choice to take it or leave it.
I live in the USA far away from the major metro areas so it is very difficult to find dealers with a broad range of equipment to audition. I managed to acquire my Olive rig (NAP135/NAC82/SuperCap/CDX) and a Classic NDX/XPS2 and over the years send them to AV Options for recap/recondition.

5 Likes

Thanks all. It will be a private sale which I will collect in person. The seller is a bona fide hifi enthusiast with genuine reasons for sale. Have been in regular contact over the past few days and a demo has been offered before purchase. I will collect on Monday next week. I am confident all will be well.

2 Likes

It doesnā€™t seem understandable to me.

As a buyer, if I was paying Ā£1000 for an item Iā€™d expect to seller to provide an actual photo of the item I was buying.

On the other hand. If I was buying a Ā£1.50 toothbrush Iā€™d be quite happy to see a stock photo.

2 Likes

Living in EU, Iā€™ve bought most of my s/h Naim kit in UK.

amo The CB 135ā€™s was just serviced, grabbed from a gentleman on PFM long back, just minutes after announced, they are worth double nowadays, pity I had to sell them earlier.

Nothing but good people, Brexit put almost an end to this shopping, at least things need to be considered .
Hope Iā€™m sorted for the next few decades.

5 Likes

So 100% agree need real pictures including one of the serial number.
If from a dealer shipping ok - if from a private seller I have normally collected.

I would be nervous about overseas - but depends on price.

Also take care as to what is in the box - I have been screwed on a 252 with no burndy.
Luckily the price was good so I can absorb the cost of buying new cables in particular as the device still was under warranty.

3 Likes

In communicating with the seller itā€™s always a good idea to get confirmation ā€“ learn what you SHOULD be getting and then ask for specific confirmation that those items are included.

1 Like

Just to add my two penneth! Up until recently all my purchases had been new items - but I then decided I wanted a second system made up of vintage gear so it would have to be 2nd hand and so I had a look around the Bay. Picked up a very nice clean RA820BX2 amp & Musical Fidelity Digilog DAC and was on the lookout for CD player and speakerā€™s! But a change in circumstances led me to buy a well priced DAC-V1 & NAP100 for my office.

Oh dear - Iā€™d fallen into the trap!

Start over - I needed that Naim sound in the lounge - couldnā€™t afford new plus you couldnā€™t get it! So over the last couple of months Iā€™ve scoured the internet and a couple of other places and now have a brilliant set of Naim electronics, all bought 2nd hand apart from the Core which was a Naim refurb, and the only niggle Iā€™ve got is a feint logo on my HiCap - but as it is all Naim Iā€™m confident that it will all work forever and if not it can have a little drive to the south coast for any r&r it may need. And b4 anyone comments if it canā€™t be fixed Iā€™ve not spent/lost too much!

3 Likes

Famous last words Per :rofl: ATB Peter

2 Likes

Just had a look at pre amps Acousica have sold.

Jan 2022
Naim Audio Nac 282 Pre Amplifier

Feb 2022
Naim Audio Nac 282 Pre Amplifier

Same photos for both auctions. Theyā€™re taking the p*ss

If the cases are in very good condition, who cares? Not me. One looks just like the other so long as there is no damage.

Iā€™m not sure what the fuss is over ā€œit has to be a photo of the exact unitā€ so long as such is not being done to avoid showing damage. Obviously validating the serial no. with a photo is pretty important and standard.

(Above comments when the sale is by a dealer that is standing behind the transaction.)

1 Like

Certainly Peter
Have been up and down the ladder so knowing what I get and not.
Could live with a Rega System one if I had to sell out. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Photos of ā€˜anotherā€™ unit are used in scams by the unscrupulous who donā€™t in fact own the item advertised.

If a seller doesnā€™t photograph the actual item for sale and post it as part of the advertisement, you have to ask why.

1 Like

@StuW I think it is nothing else than polite & professional ofthe seller then to demo the pieces he/she sells. Whenever I sold, I always did that. As such I see nonharm for you to ask for it
Iver

1 Like

Lots of non-payers bid on eBay so there may well be relisted items that were never paid for by the winning bidder.
Acoustica are an established Naim dealership who list gear on behalf of their customers when they upgrade. They are not scammers.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s correct, but in the case of the 282ā€™s, one was 45xxxx, the other 48xxxx.

These sold for over Ā£3000. If I was buying an item on eBay that cost Ā£3500, I would examine the photos very carefully and expect the photos to be of the item I was buying.

Would a car dealer get away with doing something similar. I doubt it.

1 Like

I thought it is a dealer that was being referenced; if a dealer is scamming people they wont be in business long!

Of course, if it is a Naim dealer we are talking about, then that is a different matter.

1 Like

:grin:

Of course, I know them too, but as others have said scammers do use this lazy technique so by using this method they are not helping themselves, perhaps normalising it.

I would wonder why they did this too

1 Like

Acoustica is my dealer.

Pete, Ross, Edward and Dan who run it are expert, helpful dealers, and honest, straightforward business people.

They are one of the biggest Naim dealers in the UK/world for good reason.

3 Likes